Chapter 24: When Love Fades

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Nighttime*

-Jaemin's POV-

The sun has finally faded, and now, the moon is out alongside the darkness. And after a stressful day, Narae and I finally found some peace beside each other. We decided to distract ourselves with a series, movies, cooking, and anything that could come to our minds. After all, today's bitter moment took us by surprise, and it disturbed our mood. Yet, Narae tried to sort it out for both, which I appreciated since she worked to stay calm only for me.

At last, we are inside the bedroom while watching dance videos on the TV. Narae is next to me, cuddling while keeping me close to her. I'm caressing her head as my eyes focus on the video; however, I felt Narae's touch vanish as she leaned back against the headboard.

-What is it? – I asked while looking back at Narae.

-I want to talk about something with you; it has been messing with me the entire day. – Narae mentioned. Her words immediately caused me to pause the video and focus on her.

-Tell me. – I said.

-After talking with Mark and Chenle, their words got stuck in my head. I appreciate our friends' consideration after finding out what happened with your father. However, I don't want anyone to believe they have to leave the company because of my dismissal. – Narae worriedly expressed.

-Narae, nobody wants you to go from the company; that's why Chenle and Mark said they wanted to sign their resignation letter. – I mentioned while looking at Narae, concerned.

-Yes, but everyone is doing so well at the company, so it doesn't make sense to quit their position just due to Mr. Na's decision. – Narae pointed out.

-As Mark-hyung mentioned, "we aren't quitting our careers, only the place we work at." – I reminded Narae, but her face didn't show any change. She's not happy about our friends' decision. -Love, a few empty places won't affect my father's company; he has many other employees waiting for our positions. – I disclosed, making Narae look at me, upset.

-Why are you making everything worse? I'm the only one your father fired, so why do you have to follow me? – Narae questioned, annoyed.

-Narae, watch your words; I don't want to argue with you. – I sternly mentioned while glancing at her.

She rolled her eyes before looking away from me. -Then what do you expect me to say? Thank you for giving up your places to start something new with me? – Narae questioned.

-You can start from there. – I admitted, causing Narae to sigh at my words. Briefly, I took Narae's hand and made her look back at me. -Narae, you have to respect our friends' decision, okay? They already chose to resign from JJ's company, and you can't do anything about it. – I told her, hoping my girlfriend concedes our friends' position.

-So, should I accept it and move on? Honestly, I'm tired of that. – Narae admitted, causing me to look at her, concerned.

I never heard Narae speak this way. Is she honestly so angry about this situation?

-Love, I'm not saying that. – I softly spoke while getting closer to Narae, briefly embracing her from behind. -Our friends are clever; therefore, they might have a plan after resigning their positions at JJ's company. Just think about it for a second. – I pointed out before kissing her shoulder, trying to relax her.

-Alright. I won't complain about it anymore, but tell me something, are you quitting too? – Narae asked while looking back at me. I hesitated to answer her inquiry, but I eventually nodded. -Why Na Jaemin? Why? – Narae asked, concerned.

-Love, stop worrying; you make me feel anxious. – I said while holding Narae's face between my hands.

-Then tell me why you want to resign your position, too. – Narae demanded.

-I'm against my father's actions against you, but at the same time, I don't want to marry someone I don't love. Sooner or later, if I stay, he'll want me to be with Eunju. I can guarantee the result after what happened today. – I sincerely explained, showing my honest concerns.

Narae nodded, understanding my position. Shortly, she caressed my cheek and looked at me, examining my expression. Then, she pecked my lips, but when she was about to pull away, I leaned forward and kissed her deeper. I moved softly, leading the rhythm while getting lost in each other. Eventually, I pulled away and stared at Narae, briefly placing my head on her shoulder, trying to find comfort against her touch.

-You aren't only worried about me, are you? – Narae questioned, noticing my odd behavior. I merely shook my head at her words before holding her tighter. -Is it about your mother? – Narae suddenly asked, causing me to shut my eyes.

-My father loved her just as much as I love you, but he turned possessive after my mother wanted to start another business. It wasn't related to my father's career but her own. My mother studied arts and wanted to have a gallery. But after marrying my father, she decided to dedicate herself to her family. – I explained, remaining in the same position as Narae began to stroke my hair.

-And what happened? – Narae asked.

-My father opposed my mother's idea; he didn't see a future on a gallery of someone that hasn't painted for a long time. But what my father didn't know was how my mother continued to improve on her skills behind his back; I only discovered her secret because she trusted me enough to show me. And because of her, I got into dancing and met our friends. – I disclosed before taking a deep breath, briefly opening my eyes. -My father didn't accept any of my mother's goals, so she stopped trying to become what she desired. Years later, she developed an illness and died without fulfilling her dreams. – I spoke as my tears began to drop without hesitation.

-Perhaps your father will never understand the meaning of listening and taking care of other's dreams. But at least you took another route, and now you are different from him. – Narae pointed out, causing me to look at her.

-Do you honestly think so? – I questioned, which Narae nodded for in response while cleaning the tears from my eyes.

-You aren't like your father, at least not anymore. When I first met you, there were many similarities between you two, but now I can barely see some. You changed to be like your mother; after all, she sounded like a lovely woman. – Narae sincerely said while smiling at me, and then she kissed my head. -Now, I understand why you wanted to resign after your father fired me. I suppose you are right; I'm nobody to tell others what they should or shouldn't do. – Narae realized while comforting me, but my tears couldn't stop falling. So, I looked down and hid under her embrace.

-I'm sorry, I usually can endure it all, but I can't do it tonight. – I murmured.

-It's alright. You can lean on me whenever you feel like it. – Narae sincerely said before offering me her hand. Immediately, I held it and started to caress it with my thumb. -Jaemin, why did you endure so much pain alone? Huh? – Narae cutely questioned, causing me to smile slightly.

-I wanted to know what Eunju planned before saying anything to you. – I admitted before looking at Narae. She nodded and smiled at me, briefly holding me closer to her.