CHPT. 29 Contract of contract

神と悪魔の間

神と悪魔の間

.

There were times that Jeckyll just wanted to commit murder. But was it really murder if the person he wanted dead was himself? That was better left unanswered. Yes ― it was better if no one would answer such a thing.

Jeckyll was always the calmer and more rational one. The lesser evil preferred to go through the minimum of chaos, as long as everything was in order. But that was a difficulty if your own counterpart was the opposite. Hyde was different― he enjoyed causing trouble, getting into trouble and being the trouble.

Hyde loved the sense of danger. The greater evil was much more sadistic, and seeing someone restrained by their chains was amusing to him. To the point that he would jump into a volcano just to force someone into their debt.

"This is all your fault." He whispered, cursing under his breath as he glared at the phantom being floating beside him. A bright grin that Hyde wore, excited for himself.

"Stop complaining~ the god of contracts are indebted to us! The contract demon."

Hyde joyously clapped his hands together, a sinister smirk stuck to his lips. How he enjoyed the thought of it, unable to contain himself.

"Oh how humiliating that would be for him!"

Alastor grumbled, pressing his palm against his lips as he narrowed his eyes at the floor. He endured it ― his counterpart's rambling and mockery towards the retired god. It was irritating, but he could not deny that he somewhat agreed to such profanities against an archon.

"Alastor?"

Zhongli frowned as he was ignored, the two sitting in his office, face to face yet the demon didn't seem to be able to look at him. Muttering to himself and glancing to the side, he couldn't understand.

Sighing to himself as he sipped on his tea, trying to figure out this situation. Both of them were beings of contracts, thus a contract between them would be solidified perfectly― that's what Zhongli thought. But this was Alastor.

The contract demon who had created perfectly fair contracts for the first few years he walked this earth. The demon who lost the virtue of fairness after the Archon war. The demon who vanished from Teyvat and suddenly returned, unexpectedly becoming loyal to Mondstadt.

He lost his the virtue he once upholded. And everything was Zhongli's fault. He was biased. He was unfair. He treated him wrongly.

Everything affected Alastor, to the point the contract demon no longer focused on the word contract, perfectly becoming a demon he was called. Perhaps he wouldn't have changed into something so sinister if Zhongli just,

accepted him.

"Tsk. I don't want―"

Jerking in his seat, Alastor froze for a moment. His hand flying to his head, cursing under his breath. It startled Zhongli, who stood up with a worried expression.