𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝟺𝟷

♪Hᴏᴍᴇ ʙʏ Sʏᴅɴᴇʏ Rᴏsᴇ♪

Rᴏxʏ

Happiness doesn't exist. It's just a disguise. A wolf in sheep's skin, bound to keep biting you in the ass.

You'd think you'd be used to it by now, the hurt and the way it burns inside your chest. You'd think that things couldn't get worse, that maybe someday it'll all be worth it.

Well, newsflash, it's going to get much more worse before it gets better. Much, much more worse.

I was aware that Troy and Lucy had met before. He eventually saw the picture that I had kept of her, the picture mom had taken of her at her first day of school. He spoke about their encounter at the park and how she warmed up his heart with her smile.

When I had told him that Lucy would be staying with us for a bit, he was thrilled. Once again, I hadn't told him the whole truth. I was too ashamed. It felt like after all the lies I've told there were no use in telling the truth anymore.

Mom had passed away, she had taken her own life. Jake couldn't take care of himself, let alone Lucy.

That meant I had to be her guardian and I didn't mind at all. I was 18 and I knew how much it would have meant to mom. So, I decided I'd take Lucy under my wing.

"You ready to leave for the airport?" Troy asked as he walked into the bedroom.

I looked up from my hands and nodded.

The early morning drive to the airport was silent and peaceful. The trees were getting their fresh green leaves back and the air smelled like the salty waves of the ocean water. It was beautiful all over.

We waited for a while but eventually I saw her little figure amidst the crowd. I swear she had gotten taller, and even more prettier than before. She had two neatly made plaits and a clean shiny face. She wore a bright yellow dress and rainbow colored boots. I smiled to myself at Jake's effort. I thought I hated him but how could I ever hate someone who loved little Lucy? She ran up to me and I held her tightly. "God, I missed you." I whispered, tearing up. She shook her head and wiped my tears with her little thumbs "Don't cry."

I took a breath of relief and smiled at her with so much love. It felt good, having her so close to me again. It felt like finally being able to breathe again. After such a long time, I could finally breathe again.

Eventually I let go of her and kissed her softly on the cheek. She giggled.

Jake walked slowly towards us, his expression blank. He pulled a medium sized wheel travel suitcase across the floor and carried a brown leather bag around his neck, in his other arm he held a simple blueish grey cremation urn to his chest.

"Troy's going to take you to the car okay? I'll be right out." I told Lucy and she smiled, nodding in response before taking Troy's hand and walking away with him.

He placed the travel suitcase in front of me. "These are her things." He said with a scratchy throat. "And this is--" he stopped himself from finishing and took a deep breath before handing me the urn.

We stood in silence for a while then he finally spoke. "If she asks... you'll tell her about me right?" He questioned with a shaky voice. "You'll tell my little girl that I love her right?"

I nodded quickly. "Of course, I will." I confirmed. "You'll visit her right?" I asked him and he turned his back on me, ignoring my question.

"Uh.. your mom.. she um.. she wanted you to know that she was sorry and that she loved you dearly." Is all he said before walking away.