𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝟽

♪...ʀᴇᴀᴅ ғᴏʀ ɪᴛ? Bʏ ᴛᴀʏʟᴏʀ sᴡɪғᴛ♪

                                     Rᴏxʏ

"Breast protectors?" My assistant questioned as she walked into the dressing room.

"Check." I replied.

"Gloves?" She confirmed.

"Yup." I popped the 'P', lifting my hands in the air to show my gloves.

"Now remember, this is the last practice fight before the tournament. You can't lose today! Don't fall! Power though it! You got this! Knock 'em dead!" She fired me up.

I nodded, and she gave me a comforting smile before patting me on the back.

She was about to walk out of the room but I stopped her. "Angel." I called her by her name.

She turned around slightly and I stared deeply into her dark grey eyes before talking. They were dull as stone, her eyes. Her pitch black braided hair hung down over her chest just above her belly button. She furrowed her eyebrows at me.

"Where'd you get all your tattoos from?" I asked, my eyes running down her neck, then her arms and her bare bottom legs which were filled with dark tattoos.

She had a look of hesitation on her face for a moment but then grabbed a chair from the other side of the room and sat down besides me.

She took a deep breath before making eye contact, trying hard to hide it but I could see the dread in her eyes. This was something serious. There was a long moment of silence but she eventually spoke.

"My mother." She whispered, her hands slightly shaking.

I felt concerned, taking her cold shaking hands into mine and looked her in the eyes. I saw the pain.

I didn't wanna pry. It was none of my business anyway.

"You don't--"

"She was a tattoo artist. When I was little she'd practice her skills on me, starting off small, then they'd get bigger and as they got bigger the more they'd hurt. I was 12 when I had about 26 tattoos."

I got a chill through my body and gulped.

"W-w-hy didn't you run away Angel?" I stammered.

"I couldn't. I tried but I couldn't. Sh-she would tie my up in a dark room every night and.." She explained then stopped for a moment to take a deep breath.

"She'd hit me if I cried or if I tried telling her that I was getting hurt, that the pain was excruciating." She continued, a tear escaping her eye.

I wrapped my arm around her and comforted her. "I'm so sorry Angel."

"It's Angelica." She whispered and I smiled softly.

We sat in silence for a while, until Angel spoke again."What about you?"

"Me?" I asked confused.

She pointed to my right arm, on the inside of my elbow where my tattoo was. The Roman numeral tattoo.

"Oh." I let out a little chuckle before explaining. "XXVII is Roman for the number twenty seven. It was the day I entered the boxing agency, the twenty seventh of June. I'll never forget that day, Coach had just given me my first set of gloves. They were really big but I didn't mind. It was the most happiest day of my life and I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't signed that contract that night. Boxing had become my life and I know I still have a long journey ahead but right now it's the only thing that keeps me going." I traced my fingers around the numbers the entire time.

Angel smiled and nodded. "Boxing will carry you forever."

Suddenly the dressing room door flew open and a short chubby man appeared, his eyes filled with rage, his teeth gritted. What a angry little elf, oh, never mind it's just coach.

Angel and I bursted with laughter and coach just rolled his eyes. "You're on Ro!" He yelled annoyingly before stomping away.

My expression turned cold and I switched from my smiley eyes to my serious ones.

I stood up straight like a solider and grinned.

"Are you ready?" Angel asked standing up too.

"To kill? Heck yeah!" I laughed.

Angel smiled and we walked out, past the guards, the anticipating crowd and coach. He watched me and smiled nervously, giving me a thumbs up. I rolled my eyes before smiling back. I continued walking up to the ring and saw my competitor. A older man. Bald. Probably in his mid thirties. Muscular and tall. The crowd roared with excitement as I was about to enter the ring but Angel pulled me back.

"Kick some ass." She said with a wink before placing my mouthpiece into my mouth.

I nodded. I've fought with men before. It wasn't anything new. I could do it.

I entered the ring from my assigned corner and so did my competitor. He snared at me and I scoffed. He didn't look like he could make it to round two.

Joe, the referee signaled for the fight to begin and the crowd goes dead quiet.

I smiled and got into my position. It's time. Are you ready for it?