Chapter Fifteen: The Aquarium

"Now I demand to know whose idea this was, immediately," Antonio booms.

I gulp and shift in my seat nervously. No one can look Antonio in the eye and no one is brave enough to speak. This is the angriest I've seen Antonio and it is making everyone nervous. The anxiety in the air makes it hard to breathe.

"Guys, this is serious. We need to know who came up with this idea," Justin says, his voice nowhere near as harsh as Antonio's.

"You lot and your wild actions have put a girl in hospital and a horse at the risk of being put down," Antonio continues to shout. "I don't think you understand how significant your actions last night were. So whose idea was it?"

Beside me, Lily presses her head into the seat in front of her, tears streaming down her face. I place a hand on her back. When Katy and Cobra fell into the river they were swept downstream. Cobra came out first, covered in lacerations, drenched, and barely walking.

Katy didn't come up for what seemed like hours. Will and Sacha actually dived into the river to find Katy and when they pulled her out, she looked practically dead. The paramedics told us that she had been underwater for three minutes and that they would have to race her to the hospital.

Margo was only underwater for two minutes before she drowned. It is a miracle Katy is still alive. 

I glance over at Antonio and Justin who are standing at the front of the coach, waiting for an answer from at least one of us. 

"Come on," Justin pushes.

"This could ruin not just mine but also Justin's reputation. Our jobs are on the line now for not keeping you safe. If this story gets out we might never get to work with you or horses again," yells Antonio.

Nervously, I look over at Elias. He is slumped in his chair, looking incredibly bored. Our eyes meet and he smirks. This was his idea he needs to own up! But it was also my fault this has happened. I need to own up too.

I go to stand but then suddenly Elias has jumped up. Everyone turns to face him, and I catch the look of surprise on both Justin and Antonio's faces.

"It was me," Elias admits. "I wanted to show them something we do in Sweden. It was stupid and I am very sorry my actions hurt Katy."

I want to scoff and roll my eyes. This apology is so phony.

Everyone looks back at Antonio.

"Uh, well," he stutters. "I am glad you have admitted that Elias. Of course, you will not be let off lightly."

Elias nods and I can see the smile he is trying to suppress. He doesn't care if he gets punished, he has done his job.

"Did anyone else help Elias come up with this idea?" Justin asks.

Maybe I am imagining it but I feel everyone's eyes suddenly on me. I have to do the right thing.

"I help-"

"I helped Elias. We came up with the idea together."

I'm cut off by Alex's sudden outburst from the front of the bus. No, no, no why would he do that?

"Alex, that's not-" Sienna, who is next to him, tries to talk but Alex waves his hand to shut her up.

Sienna turns around in her seat and I feel her hot glare on my face. Sienna was there. She knows Alex was the only person who didn't participate. She must really hate me now. 

I watch Antonio's face fall from angry to disappointed. "Alex you should know better than that. Both of you should have known better than that."

Elias and Alex both dip their heads. Everyone on the bus stare in disbelief at Alex, probably also wondering why he is taking the fall for me.