Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Boys To The Rescue

Lily slumps against the plastic chair, pulling a black packet out of her backpack that lays next to her on the concrete floor. She flips open the lid to reveal the cigarettes inside; the packet has only had a few removed. 

"So what do we do now?" Lily mumbles, place a cig in her mouth.

I watch as Lily lights the cigarette with her pink lighter. She only smokes now when she is stressed.

The four of us are perched on plastic chairs in the backcourt of the motel. The concrete tiles are starting to fade with age and moss and ivy are starting to climb up the panel fencing. As the night starts to set in, the sky has turned a pale pink and the sound of traffic has died down.

"Who knows," Georgia sighs, slumping in her chair.

Mia, who has pulled her knees to her chest, gives a sombre shrug.

I don't answer. I stare out into the courtyard and into the green ivy. A statue of an elf with faded colours seems to stare back. I swear it even pokes its tongue out at me. Stupid elf.

God, what am I doing?

I shake my head and run my fingers through my hair.

"I think I have to go," I say.

Lily takes a puff of her cigarette, staring at me. "What do you mean?"

Ignoring her question-and the smoke that has now wafted into my face-I rise from my chair. The others turn to watch me as I start to walk away.

"Maddie!" Mia calls. "Where are you going?"

Just as I'm about to reach the door to enter the motel, I stop.

"I'm doing what I should have done from the beginning," I say. "I'm going to tell Antonio."

Slowly, I turn around. The three other girls are staring at me in shock. Frankly, I'm shocked too.

"W-what, why?" Mia stammars.

Drawing in a deep breath I slap my arms by my side. "Guys, we can't do this by ourselves. Elias is too smart and is never going to crack. We have to ask for help. I'm going to come clean."

Lily taps her cigarette, the ash falling to the concrete. When she opens her mouth to say something, I stop her.

"I fucked up guys. I hurt all of you and all your horses. I'm done hiding from that. The only way to take Elias down is if I go down with him. I made this happen."

The girls stare back at me in silence.

Georgia shakes her head. "You do realise by telling Antonio the truth, he will kick you off the team."

I throw my hands in the air. "Isn't that what you've always wanted, Georgia?"

She opens her mouth, pauses, then shuts it again and hangs her head.

"Maddie there must be something we can do before coming clean," Lily cries.

"Yeah!" says Mia. "He must have told somebody about what he did."

"Sienna!" Lily shouts. "They must have texted or-"

"Guys," I interrupt. "I don't think Elias would be dumb enough to text Sienna. And what are we going to do, steal her phone and break into it?"

Georgia, Mia and Lily exchange a hopeful look. I scoff, putting my hands on my head.

"That's ridiculous and impossible. Look, I'm just going to have to come clean."

"But Maddie..." Lily cries.

"Thanks for trying to help me but it's time I get what I deserve," I sigh. "It's been a blast being a SEC member, it really has."