Chapter Twenty: Moving On

"How are you, buddy?"

Virgo's ears flick forward at the sound of my drowsy morning voice. He's dozing in his stall as the sun starts to rise to reveal a new day. His cheeks are starting to heal and the blood that had once clung to his dark brown coat has vanished.

I extend a hand to Virgo from the other side of the stall door. He slowly gives it a sniff before lapping up the chunk of carrot in my hand.

"Aw, you must be feeling better. Well, now it's time to get on the float and drive nearly twenty-four hours," I laugh, stepping into Virgo's stall.

Virgo's sides heave as he sighs and I feel the exact same way. Driving to Darwin is going to be painful and incredibly long. It's going to be the only place we visit in the Nothern Territory so it better be worth the incredibly long drive.

As I pull the blue halter over Virgo's head, a figure appears at the door. 

"My God, Maddie," Bishop squeals in front of me. "You should have seen the competition yesterday."

I look up. Bishop with his hair down and Rosie on a halter in his hands has a large grin smacked on his face. Even though my heart hurts that I missed out yesterday and instead had to worry about Virgo and witness Cobra being put down, I smile for Bishop.

"Really? Was it good?"

"Amazing," he laughs, opening the stall door for Virgo and I. "Since you, Elias and that arrogant rat you call a boyfriend weren't there, Rosie and I came home with two blue ribbons."

"You're kidding?" I reply, ignoring his comment about Alex.

Bishop leads the way as we walk the horses through the stables. "Nope! First in the meter and first in the meter-five. Sadly Georgia beat us in the meter-ten so we came second."

"That's still good. Georgia would have been very happy with that win but," I shrug.

Bishop grabs my upper arm. "You have no idea. She makes me sick sometimes."

I nod with a scoff. 

"But hey, yesterday must have been shit for you," Bishop says, his tone dropping to a whisper. "With Katy and that absolute dick that took Virgo."

Taking a deep breath, I pull Virgo to stop next to me. His fur is shiny and crisp as I run a hand up his neck but when I get to his face, it's jarring. With scratches sprinkled around his cheeks and behind his ears and even the hair completely taken off around his throat, it is hard to look at.

Then there is Cobra, the poor young gelding who was put down because of a stupid dare. That night at the river seems so long ago now and if I could go back I'd change so many things.

"Katy is still so devastated," I mumble.

Bishop places a hand on my back as I look over my shoulder. Down the aisle, a few stalls behind us sits Cobra's old stall. Sure, it wasn't his own stall and he was only borrowing it, but to think that by this afternoon a new horse will probably be in there, doesn't feel right.

Cobra was meant to be going with us to Darwin, not being buried in Townsville so far from his real home at SEC.

"Maddie!"

Bishop and I turn. I see Alex striding towards us, coming from the stable doors. 

"Yay," Bishop whispers with bitter sarcasm, taking his hand off me.

I shoot him a glare, causing him to roll his eyes. Alex starts getting closer.

"How does it feel to finally get out of prison?" I joke with a smile. "Finally get to-"