Chapter Twenty-Six: Do What You Need To Do

"You sure you want me there?" I call.

"Of course. Dad told me to bring you," Alex replies from the other side of the door.

I quietly laugh to myself while I comb my dark hair. Alex's motel bathroom may be gross but as I stand in front of the bathroom mirror, I can't help but feel pretty. Behind the large smudge of toothpaste on the mirror-trust me, you don't want to know how that got there-I can see my reflection.

Lily was very excited to give me her black dress to wear tonight. It's quite short on me, falling just above mid-thigh and hugs my body nicely. I've also snagged Katy's black boots to wear-she doesn't know that yet. I've decided to wear my hair out and let it fall over my shoulders-I haven't felt this pretty in ages.

Putting down my comb, I adjust my hair so it looks just right. Staring deep into my reflection I raise a hand to my neck. My fingers trace my naked collar bone, causing sadness to well inside me.

There's one thing missing-Margo's necklace.

"So you only want me there because your dad insisted?" I call, finally replying to Alex.

"Wha-No!"

I giggle, turning around to reach the door handle.

"So who is even going to be there?" I ask, opening the door.

"They're just Dad's friends that's all. They usually meet up a few times a year," Alex explains.

I lean against the door frame, watching Alex with a smirk on my face. He hasn't noticed I've come out yet.

He's perched on the end of one of the beds, eyes trained to the floor, leg jumping up and down. He's dressed in a black button-down shirt tucked into some black jeans. 

"Oh yeah "Dad's friends." You mean elite equestrians," I laugh.

Alex looks up. "I mean I guess but-whoa."

His eyes dart over me as he slowly stands up from the bed. His mouth hangs open ever so slightly in a dazed state.

What's wrong?

I smooth out my dress looking over myself to see if there's a stain or anything else embarrassing. 

"What is it?" I ask, flustered. "What's wrong?"

Alex approaches, shaking his head and taking my hands in his. 

"Nothing," he smiles, looking at me intensely. "You just look... wow."

I shyly smile up at him, feeling the heat rising up my neck. "Am I underdressed?"

Alex looks me up and down, swearing under his breath. "Damn it, Maddie, no; you look incredible. You look perfect. You are perfect."

I laugh, not being able to meet Alex's eye. He takes a hand out of mine then rubs his index finger around and down my collar bone. I pretend not to notice the disappointment and confusion in his eye. I know he is wondering why I'm not wearing Margo's necklace; I just pray he won't ask about it.

"Unfortunately," he sighs, retracting his hand from my warming neck, "Elias will have to see you like this which I hate."

Putting my arms around Alex's neck I laugh. "Well, I didn't dress like this for him."

Alex smiles. "Still I don't want him looking at you."

"Oh, I'm interrupting something clearly."

Alex and I both turn our heads to the motel room's door. I didn't even hear it open. Elias is standing in the doorway, his arms folded and a smirk on his face. He's dressed in a white button-down shirt with black dress pants.