Chapter Thirty-Two: Cheaters Don't Need to Explain Themselves

"Alex!" I shout.

My tears have dried but I'm still on an emotional high. 

Alex doesn't stop though, continuing to walk with Will towards the stable doors. I start running to chase them down.

"Please, just listen!" I cry.

I don't expect my pleas to work so when the two boys stop suddenly in the middle of the aisle, I have to hit the brakes. 

Will is the first to turn around, throwing an arm protectively around Alex's shoulders.

"Do you actually have the audacity to try and talk to him right now?" Will asks with a scoff, an edge in his voice.

My eyes drop to the ground, the tears rising in my eyes. "Yes-I... I mean no. But yes. Mainly no but-er-I just need to talk to him."

"Cheaters don't need to explain themselves," Will says.

"But I didn't cheat!" I cry, grabbing at my hair. "Elias lied. He framed me, I swear."

Will rolls his eyes. "Like he would ever-"

"Will," Alex croaks, "shut up."

Taken aback by Alex's sudden input, I can only stare at the back of his head. Slowly he turns around. 

"I'll talk to her," he mutters.

We lock eyes and I feel the Earth stop spinning. Alex stares at me intensely with his black brows pushed together. His lips press tightly together and it might be my imagination but I swear his eyes are red.

Has he been crying?

"You sure?" Will asks Alex, his voice soft.

Drawing in a breath, Alex folds his arms across his chest and nods.

Will goes to say something, opening his mouth to probably persuade Alex to just walk away, but then he shuts it. He looks at me for a moment then back at Alex. Finally, Will shakes his head and sighs.

"Fine."

Before walking away, Will shoots me a glare. I cower slightly as I watch the older boy stride away and right out the stable doors. Now it's just Alex and I.

 I gulp, my heart racing.

Alex stares me down with his icy gaze and I feel the awkwardness consume us as the silence stretches on. I have to say something to end this.

"Do you want to go somewhere else?" I ask, gesturing to the rather public area around us.

"Nah," Alex replies, shrugging.

"But... people might hear," I mumble.

By 'people' I meant the three old ladies gathering their horses for a mid-afternoon ride. Otherwise, the stables were dead.

Alex raises his eyebrows. "So?"

His tone cuts deep and all I can do is bite my tongue.

"Where did you all go then?" I ask, my voice wobbling. "Cause I haven't left that room in two hours."

"Good," Alex smiles.

Ouch.

"And we went back to the motel to decide whether or not we should tell my dad about what you did," Alex continues.

I swallow, shifting from one leg to another. "What did you decide then?"

Alex's eyes go soft-even if it's only for a moment-before dropping his head. "Everyone except Georgia wanted to make you pay, so they voted to have my dad find out."