Chapter Twenty-Five: So What Do We Do Now?

"This is a disaster."

You bet it is. And I caused it!

I force myself to glance at the gravel ground, gripped in guilt. I can't bare to look at everyone's sad and distraught faces, all huddled around the SEC vehicles. No one knew what was waiting for us when we arrived bright and early at the riding centre this morning. But I did.

Justin is crouched next to one of the deflated tires. He stands, a cloudy look on his face.

"All of them have at least one tire deflated. The air has definitely been let out of 'em."

By his side is Antonio, running a hand over his brow.

"So we can't get anywhere?"

Justin sighs. "We can't get anywhere for a few days."

Low groans and soft whines ring out among us. We were meant to leave Darwin tomorrow; who knows how long it will take now.

"Dad, we need to get to that show," Alex points out from my side. I can see the anger on his face.

"Yes, thank you Alex for telling me," Antonio replies, clearly frustrated.

Alex glares, knitting his eyebrows together. I take his hand, giving it a squeeze. When he squeezes back, the guilt starts to knot in my stomach even more. Alex has no idea I did this.

He wouldn't even suspect me to have.

"So what do we do now?"

It's Will. I look over my shoulder and feel the sick start rise up my throat when I see Elias standing tall and proud by Will's side. A smug smile is on his face. He knows what he's done and he's proud. He's happy he will make his dad proud.

If only everyone knew he isn't the cool or fun guy they think he is. Really he is a cuckoo trying to make the other birds in the nest think he is one of them.

"Do we think someone else did this?"

Looking away from Elias I spy Sienna leaning against the truck, arms folded neatly in front of her. Everything about her looks perfect. I should have listened to Lily's theories about her earlier.

Justin and Antonio exchange a glance before explaining that that is what it seems but there was no sign of a break-in. I stop listening as Justin continues to speak, my focus only on Sienna.

She doesn't repay the attention, however. Her icy gaze is focused not on Justin and his explanation, but on Elias. Her pale cheeks are glowing red and her usual happy-go-lucky smile has melted off.

She didn't know he was going to do this.

Sienna would have never allowed it. Maybe now she will realise that Elias doesn't care at all about breaking Alex and I up like he probably said he did. He's betrayed her. Hopefully, she is figuring it out.

"Maddie, did you see anyone when you came here last night?"

I snap my head away from Sienna, the blood in my veins going icy. Katy and Lily are looking at me, expecting an answer. My breath catches in my throat and I hope no one else heard Katy's question.

"Oh-umm-I... No, I didn't" I stammer, looking down at my boots.

Katy and Lily raise their eyebrows at each other before looking back at the adults.

"Well, we can't not go," Antonio states, his voice loud and strong.

"How will we get there then?" Bishop asks from my other side.

We exchange a look.

Antonio claps his hands together. "The showgrounds aren't too far away, we can walk."