Chapter Thirty: What Do You Think You Are Doing?

"Vet confirmed it was a stone bruise. A nasty one by the looks of it, so Lily can't ride for two weeks."

"Two weeks!"

Sarah's shock punches me in the gut, right where my guilt patch sits. "Yeah..."

Through the phone, I hear Sarah's sigh and the creaking of her bed as she flops down on it. 

"That sucks," she huffs. "First the tires going down and now this! There must be some psycho purposely screwing you guys up."

I chuckle into my phone, my arm wrapping tighter around my waist. "That's what Will said."

"We must be right then," Sarah jokes.

I purse my lips. If only you knew.

"So what else am I missing?" Sarah continues.

"Oh, nothing," I sigh.

I hear Sarah suck in a breath as I continue to walk down the stable aisle.

"Mhmm, right," she grumbles. "Maddie, I'm missing out on the trip of a lifetime. You gotta give me more."

I dodge a groom hurrying along as I laugh into my phone. "Well, Alex and I are doing really well. So is Will and Lily; they are still trying to sneak away as much as possible to do... their thing. Georgia and Sophie are in a sort of fight over Elias-"

"Wait, you mean the hottie?" Sarah shrieks.

My stomach churns. "Yes... Sarah, I've already told you he is a complete freak."

"So?"

"Do you really want to be caught up in a love square with Sophie and Georgia? Trust me, Georgia is still furious from when we caught Elias and Sophie going at it."

"Eww, gross," Sarah remarks. "I suppose you are right. I might have to put my horse boyfriend dreams on hold. We all can't be as lucky as you."

 When I reach Virgo's stall, I lean against the door. "Ha, ha. Very funny."

"What? It's true."

I peer into Virgo's stall and smile as he looks up from his hay bag and waddles over to me. I reach out my hand and rub Virgo's forelock, giving him a kiss on the snout. 

I'm about to reply to Sarah when somebody appears by my side. Somebody wearing Doc Martins. 

Raising my eyebrows, I glance at Sienna who is standing too close for comfort.

"Hey, Maddie," she smiles. "We need to do something."

I stare in silence at Sienna, not knowing what to say.

"Who is that?" Sarah's voice rings in my ear.

I sigh and turn away from Sienna, grasping my phone tighter.

"Just Sienna," I mumble into my phone. "Look Sarah I have to go."

"Oh, Sienna! Put me on speaker, I wanna talk to that motherfu-"

Before Sarah can finish her sentence, I hang up on her. I do not need her screaming at Sienna from another state. Taking a deep breath I turn back to Sienna who doesn't look very pleased.

"What could we possibly need to do?" I shrug.

Sienna locks her jaw. "Something."

I frown and shrug my shoulders, hinting that I want a better answer than that. 

Sienna rolls her eyes. "Elias sent me to grab you."

I raise my eyebrows at her soft tone. 

"Are you his evil henchman now?" I ask. "Doing his dirty work, fetching his slaves?"