Chapter Seventeen: The Bracelet

Alex slips his hand into mine as we walk. It makes me smile and pulls me out of my head that is just spinning and replaying my confrontation with Elias over and over. My shoulders are still sore and my chest still burns when I breathe, but I'm glad I'm okay.

Who knows how far Elias would have gone if I refused to help him.

"Thanks for busting me out of jail," Alex says, breaking our silence.

"Thanks okay," I reply. "How has it been with Elias?"

Alex groans and pushes his hair off his face. He stays silent in thought as we continue to walk through this park we found right next to the motel. 

"It's just Bishop and I, well, we heard you guys fighting before we came," I explain, giving Alex's hand a squeeze.

We continue walking, the sounds of birds calling and young children laughing in the background. Eventually, we reach a bench that is sat under a giant, old oak tree.

"We were fighting about nothing really. I'm just sick of him," Alex finally replies.

I scrunch my nose. Liar.

Alex then sits down on the bench pulling me down with him. I land with a thump on his lap. 

"Alex!" I squeal.

"What! Come here," he laughs, pulling me closer to him. 

I giggle and cup his face in my hands. He runs his fingers up and down my spine, causing goosebumps to form on my skin.

"Can I ask you something?" Alex asks.

The breeze rustles the leaves of the mighty oak above us.

"Sure."

He looks down, taking my hands away from my face and putting them in his.

"Do you like Elias?" he murmurs.

I laugh, thinking Alex is joking but when he slowly looks back up at me, I realize he isn't. 

"Wait, you're serious?"

"Yeah..." he slowly replies. "I just don't want him ruining this. You matter too much to me."

Okay, that made my heart flip. I try and suppress my smile.

"Maddie! I know that was cringy but don't laugh," Alex groans, rolling his eyes.

"I'm not!" I reply, softy, giving his chest a shove. "It is just... you're being ridiculous."

"Am not," he grunts.

"Am too."

Alex slowly shakes his head with a scoff. "Okay, okay. I maybe I am being ridiculous."

I sigh, lifting Alex's head up so he looks me in the eye. "I don't like Elias and never will, okay? Sure, everyone seems to love him but not me. He's a bit creepy."

Alex fiddles with the ends of my hair.

"So he is coming on to you?" Alex grumbles. "The dickhead told me he wanted nothing to do with you."

Alex's eyes seem to pool with sadness as they turn icy and cold. I lean into him and give his forehead a kiss.

"He is gross and a disgusting human being. You and Georgia are right, but I'm not going to let him get to me and you should do the same."

Alex runs a hand through his black hair before grabbing me around the waist and pulling me into his chest. My stomach forms butterflies as I nestle closer to him, his hands still on my waist.