Day 2: The Palm Leaf Fan

Today's prompt is: Palm leaf

Fan the lady harder, keep her shaded she is paying you twice as much for standing here in 108oF weather to keep her shaded while you roast. The snow-like-skinned lady snaps her fingers at me to get my attention, "Boy fetch a larger palm leaf this one is turning me red." I nod my head, "Yes, ma'am right away." I run off and search the area looking for a larger leaf. I search for ten or so minutes and I find that all the leaves are about the same size.

Returning to the lady she crossed her arm, "What are you stupid as well?" "Um no, I was unable to find a bigger leaf." Crossing her arms, "Well, go find one, and don't come back until you do!" I run off as she throws close items at me. Once away from the lady I sit in some shade, this heat is a silent killer. "Hot, isn't it?" I look over to the stranger who was dressed like a middle-aged man on vacation with his family. "Yes, indeed," I said waving my hand on my sweating face.

The man in his black Hawaiian shirt sat down next to me, "What are you searching for?" I close my eyes and allow the sun to crisp my skin more than it already had, "My boss has requested that I find a bigger palm leaf." Showing him the already nice-sized one I had picked earlier that morning. The man smiles an odd smile, it was toothier than it should have been but he seems nicer than my boss. "Then I might have something for you." I turn to him as the sweat begins to pool on the dry grass.

The man gets up and I follow him down to a small shack, inside was filled with collectibles and other objects. "Here it is," the older man pulled out a large palm fern-like plant, the leaves compared to my one leaf. "This is perfect I'll pay for a leaf or even the whole plant." The man lights a cigar, "I can lend it to you for three hours but you have to sign this to promise to return it." I nod and sign the paper without reading it. I return to my boss who was angry she was getting a slight tan. "Finally, now hurry up and fan me." I rush over and fan the heat begins to suffocate the people who are outside except my boss.

The palm leaf slowly gets heavier, "Stop dropping the leaf boy and stop dripping water on me as well!" I look over at my boss who hadn't noticed that the palm leaf had an open mouth with dagger-like teeth and was drooling over her. "Um, ma'am I don't mean to scare you, but I think we should return inside now!" My boss moved her sunglasses to start yelling but only for a scream to interrupt her instead. The plant took the scream as an invitation to take some action. The plant roared and took my boss's head clean off her body. I yell and drop the palm leaf on the floor and as the old man walks past me, "I see she helped you with your boss problem, but it's too bad you'll get blamed for it."

I was too frightened to say anything, "But, as promised I'm here for my payment, as you promised me, your soul for the blood lust leaf." His words snap me back, "Wait my soul for such a deadly plant there's no way that is fair!" the man walks up to me and reaches his hand into my chest and ripping the soul from me. "I hope you enjoy prison." His evil laugh and smoke remove the demon's façade as sirens go off and I'm now covered in blood splatters, with a knife in one hand and my boss's head in the other.

A/N

I feel like this one was scarier than the last I hope I can keep it up. Let me know what you think.

Love, 

Candy215