Day 6: The Bonsai that will Break the Seal

Prompt theme: Bonsai

It has been a long year since my grandfather sent me on this journey to Japan, I might be Japanese by blood, but I was born and raised in the states. Finally, after visiting all his friends and my extended family I have arrived at the Kaiyō shrine, and I; Ren Kaiyōshi am here to essentially grab my grandfather's prized bonsai and bring a clipping back to the states. I do see why he sent me here though the ocean from the view up here is very beautiful, kind of ironic how the shrine was named after the ocean and the people I guess my family who worked and practiced their beliefs at this shrine wanted to take the name.

I stop at the Tori or the big red gate and catch my breath the climb was the worst part; I look at the shrine grandfather said that the god of this shrine lives inside it looks like the new owners or my great-grandfather's disciples are faring well. I was welcomed by the keeper of the shrine and his family, grandfather said it was common for the families to run the shrines. They welcomed me in since the shrine does belong to me and my family (even though I begged them to believe otherwise).

After dinner, I was taken to my grandfather's bonsai at which was large, it wasn't tall but not the tiny one my dad works on at home. The shrine maiden, I think she was the priest's daughter gave me a long history lesson on it and my American nature tried to poke through listening to her speak to me. I yawn unable to control it as she bows in apology, "Forgive me you must be tried." I couldn't help but agree, "Yes, I am sorry, I had a lot of walking I did today." She brought me back to the guest room as her family asked if I'd like tea before I rested to soothe, my soul.

Not wanting to be ruder than I already was to the young girl I agree. Sitting at the table on the floor brought sleep closer to my eyes as the door opens, words were spoken but I'm far too gone to understand anything but English right now. It seems their son is now home as well. From what I could understand he was my age 25 and has just returned home from training in the mountains or something like that, why does that not surprise me? I return to my room and hit the futon not realizing that sleep came to me as fast as it did.

In the middle of the night, the sliding door to the outside of my room darkened as someone stood outside blocking its lights, "Kaiyōshi, you've returned, how wonderful the shrine will do better with the Kaiyōshi blood back in the shrine." I sit up and see a fox sitting in front of the door. "Who are you?" I whisper out, the fox flicked his tail as two become visible. "Hmm, it seems you've changed your tongue, it doesn't seem like it's hindering you though, it's wonderful that the Kenji Yamada your grandfather's friend took over the shrine while awaiting your return, but they were never as spiritually as strong as your family."

Kenji that name was next to my grandfather as the priest of the shrine. "It's a shame he never allowed your father to married Kenji's eldest daughter like he was supposed to now she is married to the man named Kaito he's fine but he has a poor background in the spiritual connection, with you here everything will be fixed." I shake my head as the door opens and the silver fox with two tails smiles at me the spirit changes forms and changed into the son of the family of the shrine keeper. "Don't worry the real boy is in his room, where he is receiving a vision on your importance here in the shrine."

I back away as the fox bares his teeth, jumping on me covering my mouth as I scream, "Your grandfather was a fool thinking sending you here to bring him a cutting of the bonsai would finally sever your families ties here to the shrine but it is too late your Kaiyōshi blood is running with spiritual power and I must have it!" he bit me and I scream, out of breath from the bite, a fox formed on my right breast (found it the next morning) lifting his hand from me, I whisper out, "You demon, you're no god to me just a demon." He was angry, "I am a divine being of this land the humans gave me the power I rule this shrine! This is my domain and I sealed the contract with your bloodline again, and now you must take your place, and please your master!" I felt my body retch as his evil energy continued to flower through my veins.

The fox returned to his fox form and looked at me, "Now be a good little shrine maiden and marry the son of the shrine or do I have to have them seal you inside the land and the shrine, never able to leave, until your bound to this place with nowhere else to run." I hiss out to the demon, "This have them seal me there is no way I'm ever staying I'm returning to America after this night." I stand up and try to run out as the fox laughs, "Truly a foolish, fool indeed."

I didn't care about what I was wearing right now I just knew I needed to get out of its domain which was the Tori at the front. I seem to wake up the family as I run through their home. At the tori, however, their son was waiting, at the tori, there was no way around him. His family ran out to us, "Oh no; Kaiyōshi-san where are you going in the middle of the night?" the wife asked me as her son spoke faster, "After being confronted by the god of this shrine she still tries to run like her grandfather, but I will seal her to the land here of the shrine.

His mother grabs my arm, "Let's not upset the god any further than you already have, let us sleep and talk more about it in the morning, yes?" in the morning I was chained to the bedroom floor it had a talisman seal covering the lock. I jump with the door opened and the son walks in, "Ren, it's good to see you in sound mind this morning, I've sealed off the land and hope you are will behave yourself, for you see, I don't mind sharing." I look back up and see the fox sitting smiling using the son's body and voice.

A/N

This one isn't as scary without me adding murder again.  Some people believe the supernatural is the scariest thing out there. 

Love,

Candy215