Day 16: Fern

Prompt: Fern

Bang—Bang—Bang! "Order, the order in the court, May Starfarm you are guilty of First Degree cursing and Second-degree Hexing an innocent human. Any last words?" May shook her head as the holding spell, they had on her kept her in place. May waited for her death sentence, "Under the new law, we are forced to take new action under your type of sentencing, you are hereby sentenced 6 years of jail time, 6 years' probation, and 6-month community serves for the humans all while not in human form but whatever this child from Mrs. Hexlies' Witch school can cast you as, whether it's a cat or, a piece of paper."

May was outraged how could they do this to her, "Fine," is all she can leak out before they dragged her out of the courtroom. They put her in a small room where she was told to face the wall along with everyone else, there were 40 other witches in front of her, "Next!" each time the line slowly moved, about 20mins later the line moved again. "Geeze at this rate my sentencing will be over." That is all May could think as the line moved again.

"Next!" May could finally see the front of the line it stopped at some sort of door, how boring she couldn't watch others get turned into things. Waiting for a second, she could hear a scream, as the door opens and next was yelled as the next witch was shoved into the room. May only had 10 people left before it was her turn. The line suddenly seemed to move faster, as May was right outside of the door. May stood in fear as the door opened and the light was bright inside, "Next!" shoved inside May found a small line inside, another door opens. "Next, please." A softer voice said as one person went inside, finally, a kind voice in all of this is all May can think until a scream causes the room to jump in fear.

The door opens behind May as the officer yells out, "Next!" May is pushed forward as the other door opens once the other door is closed, the screams come louder and louder until she was outside of the door. The door opens and May was shoved in and saw the school testing grounds, "Alright Emily, you may choose, between an animal that walks on four legs or you can choose a plant." The girl nods and after standing for a good five minutes she mumbles some sort of spell, and that's when the pain hits May. May screamed out, as she watched her hand slowly turn into leaves.

**

The teacher went over to the plant that miss Emily made, "What a wonderful fern Emily, I think you've earned the right to keep this in the school garden." Emily smiled as she pours the remainder of her water bottle into the pot. "Grow big, little fern."