Day 19: The Mushroom Child

Prompt: Mushroom

Galen a young adventurer walked through the forest, "Man I hate these simple little side quests it was worth 10 gold for it, I had to take it." The quest simply said help the mushroom child. Galen cuts down the low-level monsters as he follows the skittish mushroom child. "Hey, kid how much longer?" the simple mushroom child looked back and continued to wave Galen in a direction. They walk farther into the forest as the path slowly disappeared.

Galen was only a C rank hero; he could only handle monsters so far from the city gates, without a party. "Um little guy, I can't go much farther than this." The mushroom waved once more until he made it to a tiny house, "Oh is your home in need of some repair?" the mushroom shook his head as a large hole in the rocks opened up and an Agarico-desmo. A high-level S rank Mushroom monster that was cursed by the shade!

Galen picked up the tiny mushroom child and ran back for the city gates, but the sun had already begun to set. "Shoot, I hope we make it in time little buddy." Galen ran toward the entrance of the forest and was looking for the road. "If we can find the road, we can make it safely to the city." The mushroom child nods and wiggles out of his hand, and is running back towards the monster. "No little guy!" Galen was torn for only a second as he ran back after the child.

He picked up the tiny mushroom again, "This way little one, this way." But it was already too late the monster was right in front of them. "Ah sh--!" Galen could get out as he was flung across the forest, the little mushroom was enjoying the protection of someone bigger than him. "I'm sure glad you're enjoying this," Galen said as he tried to stand back up. When he got back up he was thrown again but this time he could finally see the city gates and just in time the gates would close when it was full dark.

Galen got back up and ran down the road to the city gates. Galen yelled out but the monster's roar was louder than his scream. The mushroom child giggled and clapped his hands as Galen was again flung against the ground, coughing up blood Galen was now too weak to continue on. The child ran out of his arms as the Agarico-desmo dangled Galen from his foot and opened his wide jaw, and dropped Galen's body in his mouth and feasted on the young hero.

**

The following morning, "Look how cute this little Mushroom child is and look he's holding a quest, guys let do it." The A-rank part looked at the paper as the mushroom child was offering up 20 gold for whoever could help me.