Day 4: Cornflower Farm

The theme is Cornflower which is normally that bluish-purple wildflower you see until like December.

I step off the bus, the dirt road and wire fences told me one thing, that I wasn't in the city anymore. My friend Jenna, told me that this place she's staying at has helped her calm her heavy anxiety. I'm here to visit her and see if I'd want to stay. "Joy! I'm so glad you're here." I wave as Jenna came to me in a white gown and a blue flower crown. "Come one let's go get you settled into the house."

It took fifteen minutes to walk up the driveway, outside the men wore white shirts and pants and women matched Jenna, they all wore the bluish flower crown. "Um, what's with the flower crowns?" Jenna giggled, "They're cornflowers it's what the farm was named after are these little blue-like flowers." I nod as we walk up to the house as an old man sat on a run with a bunch of teens surrounding him, "John this is my friend I was telling you about." Jenna said introducing me to the group. The man stands up, "Welcome Joy, we can't wait to have you here." I give a wry smile, "I'm just visiting thinking about all my options." John nods, "Don't worry you are going to love it here."

I felt something odd about him, he's creepy in a way. I am walked into a room with a single bed and a dresser. "Put your clothes away and change into this dress, you have to get the full fill of this place." Sighing, "Okay, just give me a second then." She walks out as I change into the dress, and find no shoes or anything, I peek out and Jenna was waiting, "Oh you look so pretty in the dress, would you like to wear the crown?" I shake my head, "No, I'm fine but do you guys have shoes or am I wearing the shoes I have on?"

Jenna giggled, "No shoes, we like to live a simple life. These dresses are made with thin cotton simply breathable, thin, and cozy." I nod as a bell ring, "Lunchtime everyone!" Jenna drags me into an open dining room. Where on the table is mostly fresh veggies and fruit, nothing for protein. I mean it's fine that they have this type of diet choice, but I might have to sneak off once a month and have some pizza or something. "As the rules go ladies you may pick your choice first, we have to keep you all healthy. Then us men will eat then the afternoon chores will begin." I pick at my food but every time John said something I took a huge bite.

Jenna took me to the kitchen where the other girls were washing dishes and doing laundry if there were kids, they were doing other things. The day passes and I've sat in two lectures one by John and the other by some older woman of the group, but overall, I can tell this isn't me.

Their teachers on their goddess are nothing short of interesting but they sound like fables from the past and they seem to believe that their goddess is going to crush one of the oldest religions of the modern era, then they kept speaking of a grand event tonight that will bring their goddess happiness which will bring them happiness or whatever. This place does not pass the vibe check. I need to leave I'll go stay in the town a mile back. "Joy, are you ready, it's time for the big event!" Jenna said walking into my room. "Um sure, but I'm packing first, I'm leaving tomorrow." More like sneaking out tonight but not that she needs to know that.

Jenna looked sad, "Oh, so you didn't like it here?" I opened my mouth, "Well, I think it's a nice place but I think it's too strict for me." Jenna nods and hugs me, "Too bad, I thought you were really going to enjoy it here." I thank her as she helps me and leads me out back where there everyone was handed a robe, but me. John stops me, "The guest of honor should come with me, we all get a little nervous at these so staying with me, will make it seem easier."

I begin to sweat even with the cool air as I'm brought closer to what looks like a table for sacrifice. "Um, I'm sorry I think I would like to watch from the back." John smiled an evil-like smile, "Nonsense, you will be better off with me." I break free and try to run but other members grab me. I hit the ground trying to fight free but winded up getting knocked unconcise.

Waking from the darkness it's dark outside and the fire is the only thing keeping me from thinking I was surrounded by demons. The hooded figures, I'm still on the Cornflower farm right. "Today we bring our virgin sacrifice to the Goddess of the Cornflower, she is the goddess who provides for all our foods and medicines, but one every year she needs the perfect virgin sacrifice, male or female. Tonight, Joy is our humble offering to you!" I try to scream out but I see a bluish liquid in a cup next to me it was half empty. Was I poisoned? I look back up and all I see is a glimmer of hope.

**

Radio station; "Last night they found 21-year-old Joy Rogers outside of the town (XXX), township, MO her body was poisoned and then stabbed right in the heart, the Preacher of the local Cornflower Baptist Church John Winters heard a scream but couldn't find anyone outside until the body was found his congregation is his witness as they were all with him last night while they held a late service for the Halloween night so the children and teens were safe they were devastated by the fact they were so close and couldn't help the girl this is the third year the Cornflower Killer has returned on Halloween night, every victim would have a cornflower crown on their head and a cornflower in their mouth. That's all for this urgent report."