Day 23: Magnolia in May

Prompt: Magnolia

Giggling, as I watch him from my window, "How wonderful he moved in next door!" I squeal as my shades close shut. The cute guy who used to live in the frat house across campus has changed frats! "Oh Willow, you have another secret admirer letter!" I roll my eyes, I'm sure it's just another sad freshman who doesn't understand I have boundaries. I open the letter and find a creepy little poem.

Roses are red, Violets are blue, Willow you make the jump for you. Your eyes are green like the soft green grass, and your jeans are tight on your a*s. Beauty is nothing compared to you, but the fact you like Jason is against you. He's a dick, and you're too kind, open your eyes and find the time. This Saturday night there is a party, and please don't be tarty. Love, the man from the shadows.

Chills run down my spine, but how does he know I like Jason that just moved in next door. No one knows I like Jason; I haven't even written it down in my diary. "So, who's it from?" my roommate, Stella asked me. "Um, just another freshman pouring out his heart to me. You know the usual." She laughed as I ripped up the letter unlike the other ones, I kept in my desk drawer.

Leaving the ripped pieces in the trash I head down to the kitchen for breakfast, then to class. After class, I meet up with the other girls in our frat and they tell me about the party that is tomorrow night. Just like the letter, no bother though, that is just one of many creepy letters I've gotten after all these years. We begin to prep for the party, and I'm losing the odd sensation until, "Oh Willow another letter for you!" Stella sang from across the house.

Taking the letter, I open it and this time it's just a letter, no horrible poem and nothing about my butt. But this letter is still super creepy. To my dear Magnolia, did you know that the prettiest magnolias bloom in May, which is perfect because your birthday is in May? I think you are the prettiest flower in any garden, and in any forest. At the party, tomorrow head to the back yard and wait for me under the magnolia tree by 11:30. There we'll run away together with our hearts and minds as one. Love, the man from the shadows.

I read it again it's again, it's from the same person but this time the letter was so gushy and romantic, that I read it again to double-check if it was the same person, but I ripped up the first letter; dang it. Going to bed I read the letter again as the girls tease me for it, but I secretly hope that this one is from Jason. I leave it on my bedside table, so I could read it again and make sure it gets in my purse so I can ask him tomorrow.

The morning was spent on cooking, shopping, cleaning, and getting ready. When time passed, we went next door as the guys welcome us in and the rest of the school arrives. Around 11:20 I sneak out past the drunks, drugs, and sex addicts to the backyard and find the pretty magnolia tree blooming, I stand under it and wait for the mystery writer, April is chilly, and this is the last party of the year before finals and graduation.

The lights from the party were only the flashing lights so the yard was dark and watching for someone was hard, especially when you can't see them coming to you. I hear movement coming from the direction of the house, "Well, well it seems like the mystery man has arrived." I said with a giggle as the senior who ran the frat house. He grabbed my arm and smiled, "I'm so glad you came, I was worried I was gonna have to kill everyone at the party."

I gave a nervous giggle, "What?" He nodded, "You heard me, and if you want everyone to live, you'll walk in there and tell everyone we're dating, or they'll disappear as Jason did." I look at him, "Jason, is missing?" He turns on his phone's flashlight, and I see the upturned dirt, "Yes, he's missing, but I'm they'll find him in 10 years." My heart beats so fast and my fear wells in my throat, "Come along, you don't want a tragedy to happen."