Day 18: Making a Wish on a Comet (sad)

Prompt: Comet

Everyone was in a mass panic, I watched them all run as I took my seven-year-old son out of the house, "Look Mason, isn't it beautiful?" he nodded as we watched the comet come closer, "You know Mason if you make a wish on a falling star it'll come true." His eyes widened; "Really?" I nod, "Yep, what do you want to wish for?" He stopped to ponder the situation, "Everyone looks like they are having so much fun, I think I know what I'm going to wish for."

I bend down, "What is it you wish for son?" he smiled and with a giggle told me, "I wish we could all do this one more time." I smile, "Wow what a good wish that is, I wonder what I'm going to wish for?" I thought about it and feel the worry rise in my throat, how ironic my son like the other children in the town don't realize what's going on.

"Mommy, are you still thinking about your wish?" I blink back to the present, "Yep, I'm still thinking." I hear a wail of another mother to my right as she hugs her child and husband. I feel the tears well in my eyes, "Mason, can I have a hug first?" the innocent smile of my son made all fears fade again as I wrap my arms around him. It reminds me of the day he was born how his smile warmed my newly widowed heart.

I think of the days I taught him to walk and talk. Then of the days of him starting school and how his future will never be as it was planned out for him. "Mason, I think mommy knows what she wants to wish for now, but let's wait for a second longer."

My son nods and buries his head farther into the cruck of my neck, children whose families abandoned them sat crying on the ground, as the people ran past us as the first impact hit the earth and shook the ground under me, "Mason, Mommy wishes for us to be together even when the falling star hits us." His eyes grew wider as the second impact hit us as Mason went flying from my arms. "MASON!"

**

Today the city of XYZ was destroyed by a surprise comet, over half the city was found dead running from the comets as the roads were destroyed by natural disasters that happened only early this week, one devastating scene was of this child only fingertips away from his mother's crushed body after the comet hit her. That is all, for now, we'll keep you updated by the hour.