♠ Letter ♠

The wind blew, sweeping the valley and sending pollen billowing through. You coughed, flicking your hand back and forth in front of your face, before clearing your throat and working your way back down the path. Pebbles clicked beneath your feet, and your waist ached with the effort of holding your sword, carefully sheathed; the family heirloom. You hadn't used it in weeks, months, even, too caught up with house chores; feed the livestock, harvest cake roll logs... you hadn't been to the practice arena in so long, but now, it mid-day, the final beams of early-autumn sun beating down on your back as you let the silence set i-

"Y/N COOKIE! Y/N! WAIT FOR MEEEE!"

Ah. Right. Pancake had lagged so far behind, you completely forgot he had been coming with you until he came sprinting down the path, his "cape" flying behind him.

"You shouldn't wear the cape in this weather, you know. May as well soak up the last bit of sun before Autumn really sets in." You took off his cape, the little cookie squealing, before you tied it around his waist.

"There. Gives you some extra heat tolerance."

"But I like my cape!"

"You'll like not wearing it in this weather even more, Pancake."

He pouted, and quickened his pace, struggling to keep up. The training arena came into sight, and, on the fence, there were a few birds; a few house sparrows, a trio of chickadees, and - a pure white dove? That was odd. All the doves you usually saw were heavily dusted with brown speckles, for blending in. You quickened your pace, ignoring Pancake's frantic shouts, before stopping in front of the bird. All the others had flown away, and now you noticed the letter attached to a ring on its ankle. It tilted its head curiously as you took the letter, and you dared to open it, taking a single peek at the lettering...

And you instantly recognized that jagged, pitiful attempt at cursive handwriting.

Y/N Cookie!

This is a call to arms from a dear old friend. We are going on a conquest to take back the Cake Tower and all the surrounding territory from the Cookies of Darkness! Care to join us? We're in need of a charge like you, and would cherish your help!

If you would like to help, please, meet the rest of the group at the palace! We promise, all will be fine for this journey! Espresso Cookie, Raspberry Cookie, and Chili Pepper Cookie shall accompany us during battle, and my sister, Pastry Cookie, will bless and guide our path. May the Divine watch you if you decide to journey here to us!

The most selfless regards,
Madeleine Cookie

Great. You sighed, putting the letter in your pocket, before an idea sparked to mind; what if you did? You turned, facing Pancake, before you realized that Latte was on another short trip; it was now or never. You ran up to Pancake, crouching down and holding his wrists.

"Do you want to go on an adventure?" You asked, quickly. He started at you, fearful, before shaking his head.

"No... I want to stay here. With Mom!" You groaned internally at the response, slowly letting him go.

"..alright. But promise you won't tell her where I've gone, okay?"

"You're leaving?"

"For a short time, Pancake."

"No! Don't leave!"