♠ Farnough ♠

Like you expected, it didn't take long for the horses to tire. The stress of the situation definitely got to them. And it was getting bright already; the closest town was about a day away, so it would be better to camp. You looked over your shoulder, seeing Red Velvet staring at you. He glanced away, eyes widening, and you blew air out of your nose with amusement.

"Alright then... we should camp soon." You said to him. He nodded, not looking back up, and you turned Fructose's path from the main trail to a more remote spot in the woods. Eventually, you saw a spot clear enough to set up tents and tie the horses, so you led Fructose in and hopped off. Tying his reins tightly onto a thin tree trunk, you took off his saddle and saddlepad. Setting both things down, you helped Red Velvet off his horse, and gave him the tents before tying and untacking his horse.

By the time you were done, Red Velvet had already set the tents up. Chea was sitting inside yours, recognizing the scent and distinguishing it, and Chiffon was on Red Velvet's lap. You smiled, and unsheathed your sword, feeling the weight on your hip that had become familiar vanish. You pointed it forward, testing your grip, before resting the flat side on your shoulder and turning to the woods.

"Where are you going?" Red Velvet asked. You glanced over your shoulder.

"It's been a while since I've done any sword combat. Probably gonna practice on a tree or something." You responded. Red Velvet frowned, standing up.

"The only real way to train is by fighting an opponent that knows how to defend themself."

"And how do you know that?"

He gave you a disappointed stare.

"I'm joking. Guess you're coming with me, then?"

"Mhm." He picked up his sword, tracing his hand over the blunt edge, before following you.

You started through the woods, making sure Chea and Chiffon stayed behind, and eventually ended up in a small patch with less trees to bump into. You turned around, and looked at Red Velvet. He tapped his foot.

"I guess I should see what you already know. Well...?"

You shrugged. "Not really sure where I'm at right now. It's been at least 6 or 7 months." He nodded, picking up his sword.

"Only one way to find out then." He pointed it at you. "Come at me."

You didn't really know what to do. It's not like this was just anyone; this was an entire army general. You hesitantly took a step forward, and he shifted his position to block you. You were screwed. Well, if you were screwed in the first place, no shame in losing. You rushed him, and he obviously expected it, because he jerked to the side, out of range, and tripped you.

You rolled forward, and lost grip of your sword, watching it fly and skid on the grass. As soon as you tried to get up and grab it, you saw Red Velvet's sword stab into the ground in front of you, before he grabbed your wrists and held them behind your back.

"Alright. Rough start, but we can work on it."

"Mhm. It's been a while since I've used that sword for combat, remember."

Red Velvet paused, thinking about something, and you sighed impatiently.

"You can, uh-you can let go now."

He pulled his hands off your wrists and grabbed his sword out of the ground.

"Sorry. I'm trying to think of where to start."

"It's that bad?"

"Yep. That bad."

"Damnit...."