♠ Trust ♠

A/N: HELLO YEAH SORRY I KINDA. DIED THERE

~~♠~~♠~~♠~~♠~~

You'd started traveling again.

Worse weather was looming, dark, fluffy clouds overhead, and you sighed, slumping further into your saddle and snuggling deeper into your coat. Small snowflakes occasionally fell on you, but Fructose and Chea seemed unbothered. Same for Batik and Chiffon. Red Velvet seemed at least a little bit concerned with the snow, but was holding up just fine. You envied him.

You had never really experienced cold like this before; living in the southwestern part of the kingdom meant only a little snowfall with more rain than anything. But it was different up here. You knew there would be more snow soon, so you grabbed Fructose's reins and flicked them, speeding him up. Red Velvet got the memo almost instantly, and you two started going faster down the path.

It got dark fast, and you pulled over, setting up camp in a sheltered spot. As soon as you finished setting up, you sat down cross-legged on a rock, resting your chin in your hand with boredom. Red Velvet rested on a nearby tree, watching you out of the corner of his eye. Eventually, he spoke.

"You seem to be absolutely dead set on Water's Wake. Any reason?"

You glanced down. "..I've got an old friend there. He moved there just last year to pursue his dream, and he told me that if I ever needed help I could go to Water's Wake and tell him who I am and what I need."

Red Velvet cocked an eyebrow. "What was his dream?"

"A bar. He owns one now; sent me a card with a picture of him in front of it. I'm proud of him."

It was quiet after that. It wasn't peaceful silence; it was the kind that came before an extreme and inevitable event. It sent chills up your spine, mostly because you didn't know what event was coming to make you so scared. Or maybe the fact that it was below freezing was what caused your shuddering... probably a mix. Chea jumped on the rock, scrabbling a bit as she got up, pressing against your side and laying across your lap. You pet her back idly.

Red Velvet sighed, tipping his head back with exasperated boredom. And it was silent again. Red Velvet seemed to be thinking long and hard about something, brows furrowed, and you left him to it. After a while of you both waiting there as midnight set in, and Red Velvet running a hand through his hair every now and again, he finally spoke. And it definitely wasn't a question you saw coming.

"Do you trust me, Y/N?" He blurted out. You glanced at him, eyes narrowing a bit.

"Depends. What do you mean by 'trust?'" You replied. He turned to you.

"Would you trust me to... hhhhgn. how do I put it. Would you trust me enough to put you in a life or death situation while I'm away for a bit and then go back to help you?"

That took a bit of thinking. Life or death... it's not like you had much going for you anyways. A life or death situation wouldn't change anything much. Even if he didn't keep his word and let you die. But then you thought of Pancake... why do you care about your family still? You won't be able to see them. Latte would never look at you again, Pancake would be afraid (as he was when he met criminals) and Almond was probably actively hunting you right now, enraged - no, somehow probably angrier than that - with what you'd done. The thought made you shudder. You didn't have much too left to lose...

"Why wouldn't I trust you? It's not like I have much to lose if I do. But why would you go back to help me in a life or death situation, anyways? You're a Cookie of Darkness. I'm.. well, I'm a neutral force now. Going back would, depending on whatever situation you're putting me in, risk your life too. Why do you care?"