♠ Fireworks ♠

"Come on, slowpoke!" You called back to Red Velvet, putting your hand on a log and hoisting your legs over to start running again. Both of you were racing towards a small clearing on the side of the hill you'd scouted along the way; the camp was finally set up, and you'd started running off before he got a chance to say anything. The sun was already setting. The fireworks were still a good half an hour off, but it never hurt to be early to anything. He chuckled.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" He shouted from somewhere behind you. The clearing finally entered view, and you ran a bit faster, skidding to a stop and throwing up powdery snow as soon as you broke from the trees. Wind whipped through after you, and you squinted, staggering a bit. When the hair cleared out of your face, you looked out at the view.

Far in the valley sat the city. Even this hour couldn't kill the lights. Faint sparkles of yellow from the lanterns and houses lit it up like a beacon. Beyond it, the horizon was stippled by dense trees and forests that stretched on for miles. Off to the left was the faint outlines of the mountains, their snowy caps sending a chill through your nerves. And across the sky, like a poured bucket of star-speckled paint, was the dusk horizon. It faded from orange to pink to deep indigo as you went up from the skyline. The moon was nowhere in sight, obscured by a thin layer of clouds. You took a deep breath, closing your eyes and relaxing your shoulders.

There was a snap in front of your face, and you opened your eyes, looking over at Red Velvet. He was breathing a bit heavily from running, and you realized you were too. Looking around the area briefly, you cleared the snow off a fairly large spot in the grass with your foot and sat down. Red Velvet stared at you for a moment, and you patted the ground to your left, still in the cleared space. He sat down, a faintly grateful tone in his expression.

Both of you sat silently for a bit. He kept taking glances at you, but you only knew he was through doing the same thing, so you weren't exactly innocent in the action either. He cleared his throat.

"So... earlier I told you about... you know. That threat she made." He said, trying to be obscure in case someone else was listening. You nodded, a wave of fear and anxiety spiking through your chest. He must've been able to tell, because he put a hand on your shoulder.

"Hey, don't worry about it. I've got a plan, remember?" Red Velvet spoke with a quiet, soft tone, much different than the one you'd heard those months ago. You looked over, taking a relieved exhale.

"Please do go on."

"I was thinking you could go first alone, and then I'd go up after and help. I've been helping you a lot recently, but.. this is a point where I need to. You'll certainly die otherwise; she isn't a force to be reckoned with." He added the last parts quickly. You dipped your head, shuffling into yourself a bit to hide from the cold.

"How am I meant to defend myself until you get there...?" You murmured.

"Crossbow. Sword. Anything you can get your hands on. You'll be safe if this goes to plan, don't worry." He sounded sure of his promise, and you sighed, moving back and forth a bit to make yourself comfortable. A smile crossed your face.

"Hankala sure is pretty, huh? Not just the city, it's the surroundings too. If we weren't, you know, a bit on the run right now this is the second place I'd like to live."

"Oh? What's the first?"

"Water's Wake."

"Why's that? Seemed like just a town with a waterfall to me."

"The waterfall is most of it. I've always been a sucker for them, and you should see how lush the city gets during spring. I'd also want to be there because of Sparkling. We've been friends as long as I can remember - hell, even longer than I was friends with Madeleine and Espresso - and it's always good to have a loyal, lifelong friend around like that. Speaking of Sparkling..." you grinned, looking over at Red Velvet. "What was with you getting all urgent when we were leaving? He's got a boyfriend, you know." You chuckled, and his face went red.