♠ Hankala ♠

"Leave them, Chea." You hissed under your breath, just loud enough for her to hear. You were definitely getting closer to civilization. In the meadow next to the path you were taking, there was a Shepard and their flock of sheep. You couldn't tell what they looked like, but they turned around and waved at you. You waved back, and went on your way.

The sun was out for once. Though, it didn't do much for the temperature. December was just starting, and if the weather said anything, it'd be brutal. But you had to enjoy what you had right now. And what you had right now was weak sunlight, the crunch of hooves in snow, and your breath visible in front of you, like a pale smoke. It'd have to make do.

You were still wondering why Red Velvet seemed so distant. You clicked your tongue, and Fructose trotted up next to Batik. Red Velvet was staring at the path.

"Red Velvet...?" You said in a soft, pleading tone. He glanced at you.

"Hmm?"

You sighed. "...Did I do something?"

He looked startled. "N-No. Of course not. What made you think that?" He responded in a gentle voice. There was no sarcasm in his words, and you slouched a little with relief.

"I just... I don't know. You seemed really upset earlier. What happened?"

He frowned guiltily. "I already said. I can't tell you."

You felt hurt, and you shook your head. "...Then how do I know I can trust you?"

"That's a fair point...." His voice crackled a bit.

"...Please tell me."

He looked away, only sparing a glance back. "...you CANNOT tell anyone. Or panic. Okay?"

Suspicion flicked at your chest, but you nodded. "I won't." I promise. You thought to yourself. This was one you'd be keeping.

He hesitated briefly, before he leaned over closer to you, barely keeping balance in the saddle. "Pomegranate is following, and probably watching, us. She wants you dead." He whispered.

You sat there staring straight forward in horror. "But... but why?"

He blinked, a solemn look upon his face. "I don't know." He leaned back in. "But I have a plan."

You glanced over as he moved away again. "Go on.."

"I'll tell you the next time we camp. Look."

He pointed off in the distance, and you followed his finger, staring at Hankala.

It was outlined against the horizon, close, and you finally understood why everyone called it the "Light of the Kingdom;" even at early day, the city seemed to be bustling. And if what you'd heard was true, it didn't sleep at night. From the distance off you were, you heard music. You took a slow exhale.

"Is... is the Winter Festival happening today?" A hint of excitement tinged your tone, and Red Velvet gave you a confused look.

"Winter... Festival?"

"Yeah! Every year the northern part of the Kingdom celebrates a Winter Festival, and Hankala is the center of it all. Some call it the secondary capital, due to its importance. By population, Water's Wake would technically be more of a secondary capital, but Hankala holds more of the economy and culture in the kingdom. While Water's Wake produces mostly ores, Hankala is a major producer of wool, textiles, paper, and many Autumn and Winter crops like pumpkins and lettuce. Not to mention the Winter Festival. It's a four-day event filled with lights, celebration, and fireworks to close each night. There's only three major cities counting Hankala that celebrate it - Wolford and Blaynugar being the others - but Hankala has the biggest celebration."