♠ ...Missing? ♠

A/N: enjoy this overly dramatic chapter <3 /p

~~♠~~♠~~♠~~♠~~

Late-day sun outlined everything in a dim gold, and Almond tightened his grip on the reins, a bitter, fed-up look on his face. Madeleine took a deep, shaky breath from where he was ahead.

"Calm down Almond. We'll get them at the next town."

"Tsk. Wishful thinking. Damn you, Madeleine. Damn you! I almost had that shot!"

Madeleine whipped around. "Even if they're wanted alive or dead, alive is preferred! Who were you trying to shoot, anyways?" He demanded. Almond scoffed.

"The other one. Not Y/N; even if she's dead to me, I couldn't bring myself to make it a truth. But the other... you made them see it coming!"

Madeleine shook his head. "How is that my fault? You're a terrible shot. That was going to miss Red Velvet from the second you fired anyways, if I warned them or not. If it didn't hit him, it would have struck the horse, and that would have been equally as traumatic for them, and more traumatic for me."

"Why for you? Are you a traitor?!"

"No! They stole that horse! It- it was supposed to be a gift, alright?" He muttered. Almond shook his head.

"I'm not a terrible shot. I fired at the wrong arch of the gallop; a few more seconds and you keeping your mouth shut would have made this situation a lot different."

"Oh, get over it. We'll get them. I'll make sure of it."

Almond was about to snap something back, but his pocket vibrated, and he pulled out his phone. One of his prized possessions; home phones were hard to find in this kingdom, let alone a phone you could take with you. He turned his horse off the path they were following back to the capital for regrouping.

"I need to take this. It's from the department."

Madeline nodded, and Almond answered, holding it up.

"Hello?" He murmured. The voice that came through was crackly, and hard to distinguish, but he could tell it was his apprentice; the one he was training to replace him in the future.

"Detective Almond Cookie, we need you here immediately."

"Didn't I tell you I was doing an important mission? What is it?"

There was a pause. "It's your ex-wife and son. They..."

Almond was starting to get impatient. "Spit it out, boy!"

A sigh came from the other side. "As of at least this morning, they're gone."

"...Elaborate."

"How can I?"

"Use proper terms. I didn't teach you for nothing."

"They've gone missing, detective."

~~♠~~♠~~♠~~♠~~

You pinched your nose bridge, squeezing your eyes shut and letting out an exasperated sigh. Red Velvet stood in front of you, arms crossed.