♠ Shortcut ♠

A/N: Short chapter this time for cutoff purposes!

~~♠~~♠~~♠~~♠~~

Exactly as he had predicted, Y/N didn't return that night. He woke up at 6AM to Chea pressing against his hand anxiously. She led him to the room Y/N had been in, and showed him Y/N's bed.

It looked the same as it had the previous day, and it was cold to the touch. Of course, this was... unsettling to say the least. The day after she returns, she's gone again. So Espresso had Madeleine send out guards to find her.

They returned 4 hours later with nothing.

Of course, it didn't take long for Almond to catch on. He's a detective, after all. But he wasn't furious; just tired and worried. He decided to wait in Y/N's room for her to return, and Espresso was left with nothing to except go to his lab.

~~♠~~♠~~♠~~♠~~

You woke up feeling horrible. The day before, you had chatted with Red Velvet, walking mindlessly, and, as the sun started setting, you realized that you'd gone too far to turn back. The castle was at least another 3 hours walk away, and you couldn't do that in the dark. Red Velvet offered a spot at his temporary campsite, and you begrudgingly accepted.

During that walk-and-talk, you found out you had a lot of things in common. An affinity for animals, a stubborn personality, good swordsmanship, and a motivation focused on others. The only difference was that he was doing everything for the cakes, and you were doing everything for the cookies of your kingdom.

It was a strange feeling, talking carelessly with the enemy. Could you even consider him an enemy? Granted, he had kidnapped you, but his only fuel was his cakes. Snapping back to reality, you ran your hands through your hair.

"Re-" you cut yourself off and your eyes widened slightly.

Your voice was quiet, and wheezy; you had lost it arguing with Almond yesterday. You swallowed harshly, grabbing your sword and pushing yourself up; you'd slept with your back against a tree. Taking one last glance at the campsite, you left.

The sun was hovering in the middle of the sky. It was noon. While it was difficult, you managed to retrace your steps, and, over the course of a few hours, you came back up to the secret entrance. Entering the code, you slid back into the halls, one hand on the handle of your sword, and you crept up to your room. Looking around, you pushed open the door.

Almond was sitting on the bed, staring at you.

Oh hell nope.

You looked at him briefly, eyes wide, before turning on your heels and speedwalking back out. Almond grabbed your wrist, and, in turn, you unsheathed your sword, pressing it fairly gently against his arm.

"Leave me alone."

"Look, I didn't mean to make you upse-"

"Then why did you start off the conversation by yelling?!"

"Because I was angry. Cookies do odd things when they're angry."

"Well, I'm pretty angry right now. And the odd thing I'm going to do is cut off half your arm. If you don't let me go, that is." Fear flashed in his eyes, and he dropped his hand off your wrist. He sighed.