♠ Behind Bars ♠

A/N: WOAH I completely forgot about this I'm sorry y'all

~~♠~~♠~~♠~~♠~~

The trip was exactly what Madeleine said it would be. Quiet.

They didn't parade you through any towns preaching about the newly caught prisoner and how proud they were of themselves. In fact, they did the opposite. By the time they were done dodging villages to keep attention away, night had already fallen, making you unrecognizable to anyone that was possibly out and about. You three caught the train just as it was about to leave, sitting in the back car where the horses could be easily accessed.

The train station at the capitol was outside the parameters; from there they snuck you off the train and brought you over to the back of the castle. There was another secret door, one you hadn't seen before. How many were there? You weren't sure anymore. By that time Madeleine had handed off all three horses to some unsuspecting stablehand, and Almond had left to go get some rest.

Behind that door was a small room. The door on the other side that presumably led to the rest of the castle was firmly locked shut. The inside was pretty dreary, if you were being honest. The entire thing was made of medium gray stone bricks. On the left side of the room from your angle was a bench, facing forward. On the right was a small bit of barred paneling with a locked door on the side. That must've been were you'd be staying.

Madeleine saw you into the cell, uncuffing you and locking the door. With a last sympathetic glance, he went back outside and shut it with a loud bang. And you were alone.

Something felt... eerily similar about the cell. It was bigger than the panel suggested, giving you a little more room. There were the bare necessities, but that was about it. A bit of glass-blocked bars on the wall let some pitiful moonlight in, but the only true light was a dim lightbulb just outside the cell. You sat down on the bed, surprised at how comfortable it was. Well, it wasn't exactly comfortable by the usual standards, but it was better than the cold hard ground you'd been sleeping on for the past month or so. Rolling your shoulders, you looked around.

Then it clicked.

This felt like that cell you were in way back when you tried to raid the tower. And that's where you ended that train of thought. You couldn't handle the things you'd associate with it. And the things you'd feel with that association. Pining. Desperation. Guilt. You swallowed. Well, so much for ending that.

He'd been like a drug. Once you were hooked, you'd been addicted. And it was torn from your hands. Everything you'd done to try and escape was stolen with the threatening click of a gun getting prepared to fire. You were so close. So close. Just a day's more travel, and you'd be fine and happy in another kingdom or territory. Why'd you have to stay for the fireworks? You should have gone on your way. Maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Or maybe it wasn't preventable. You fidgeted nervously.

The inside door opened, and someone walked in slowly. You didn't look over. A raspy sigh murmured from outside the cell.

"Y/N." The familiar tone came through with frustration.

"I don't want your words, Almond. Go away."

You heard him sit down on the bench. "What happened, huh? How did you come to this?"

"You'd better get you and your condescending tone out of here. I'm already sick of it."

Almond exhaled slowly through his nose. A silence hung in the air so tense a knife would slip through it like butter.

"...It wasn't personal, kid. B-"

"Oh, fuck off. I don't want your pity. I don't want your explanation."