16 • Impasse

"Inori, what exactly are you doing?" Muichiro asked, watching Inori who was surrounded by crumpled papers.

"Trying to design my shoes," Inori answered without giving any context.

"Why?" Muichiro asked again, picking up a crumpled paper and uncrumpling it, revealing a horrible drawing of what he thought was a pair of boots.

"Do you remember when you told me I should just hold my swords with my feet because they're so strong?" Inori crumpled another paper, throwing it behind her.

"No."

"Okay, anyways, I decided that since I do have strong legs, I might as well hide blades in my shoes and somehow lace the soles with nichirin so I can kill demons by kicking them." Inori didn't know it, but Muichiro was grateful she didn't even bat an eye at his forgetfulness. "It's going to be my fourth form. I don't like my current fourth form, so I'm going to change it."

Muichiro looked at all her sketches, each looking similar to the other. He moved to sit next to Inori, both of them staring at the blank paper in front of her. "Want me to try?" Unsurprisingly, Inori immediately shoved the paper and pen to him.

As if it was natural for him, his hand easily glided on the paper. Inori made side comments as he drew. The toe cap, counter heel, and soles should be laced with nichirin. He adjusted the drawing as she talked. The blade should be as long as her foot. Inori wants the boots to stop under her knee. That way, she won't accidentally kick them off. She wants it black, the same color as her uniform. Once he was done, Muichiro handed the paper to her, watching as she observed his drawing.

His eyes widened when Inori suddenly leaped to engulf him in a hug.

"Mui, thank you, thank you, thank you," she kept repeating. Muichiro's brain froze at the nickname. Nobody had ever given him a nickname before, or they did and he forgot. He liked it. "This is so detailed and pretty. Your writing is also very good. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you." Muichiro had never heard Inori squeal in excitement before. and he decided that he liked this side of her too.

"I wonder if there is a swordsmith who can actually make this though." Inori pulled back, much to Muichiro's internal disappointment. "I think I'm going to ask Oyakata-sama for permission to visit the Swordsmith Village. Do you want to join me, Muichiro?"

"Yeah, I need to pick up my own sword too."

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

"Welcome, I am the chief of this village, Tecchikawahara Tecchin. Very nice to meet the both of you," a tiny man in a hyottoko mask greeted them upon their arrival. "I may be the smallest in the village, but I am also the best at my craft. Now, bow your head so low that it touches the mat."

"I am Hoshizora Inori. Very honored to meet you, Tecchikawahara-sama." Inori did as told, bowing until her forehead touched the tatami mat.

"Tokito Muichiro." Muichiro didn't bow.

"What good children, now come and enjoy some cakes." Tecchin brought out a basket filled with confectioneries. Inori happily took some, enjoying the sweet confections. Muichiro, on the other hand, refused to eat more than one.

"I heard that you have a unique specification for your weapon. May I see it?" Inori quickly unrolled the paper containing the details of her orders, handing it over to the chief who read it at lightning speed.

"Oh, this is unique indeed. I have never had someone order a swordsmith to make shoes before. But then again, I did have someone order a sword so thin and soft, it resembles a whip. Then, there's another sword that can inject poison into demons, as well as a sheath that can store and compose a variety of poison compounds." Tecchin rolled the paper back, handing it to the swordsmith beside him. "In any case, there is no weapon I cannot make. Your orders will take time, but I will have them done. Now, go enjoy the hot springs before leaving, they're very good for your health."