08 • The Butterfly Estate

"It's a wonderful morning, isn't it, Hoshizora-san?"

The woman in front of her was smiling warmly, but Inori wasn't looking at her. She was looking at the woman's haori that resembled butterfly wings. There was one demon slayer—a pretty lady with a pretty smile—who wore that haori in her death, and she spoke highly of her little sisters.

"Hoshizora-san?"

"Huh?"

"How are you this fine morning?" Shinobu didn't look bothered by Inori's lack of attention. "Hoshizora-san, I noticed you walked by yourself just now. I'm amazed."

Well, Shinobu wouldn't be amazed to know that Inori had fallen on top of Kagaya's other daughters, Hinaki and Nichika, when they came to help her get ready. Her legs were unable to support her, so Amane needed to hold her steady as her daughters wiped her with a damp cloth. In fact, Inori was sure she was only able to take a few wobbly steps before she would collapse, which was infuriating because her legs were supposed to be her strongest points.

"Hoshizora-san?"

"Huh? What?"

"May I proceed with the checkup?"

"Uh, sure—I mean, please, and thank you."

The only other people in the room were Amane and her four daughters, the master had left to give Inori some privacy. Amane and her daughters helped Inori take off her yukata so Shinobu could easily examine her wounds.

The Insect Pillar hummed, sparing her patient a glance. The girl was staring at the wall, though Shinobu doubted she was actually looking at it with how blank her eyes seemed to be. Shinobu couldn't help but wonder what exactly the girl was thinking to be having that look on her face.

"I'm glad you've woken up, Hoshizora-san." Shinobu observed how Inori's eyes cleared at the mention of her name before the girl stammered another reply. "Of course, your body needs to get used to moving again after your coma, but I'm relieved to tell you that your injuries have mostly healed." She flashed the girl a smile. "If you continue to exercise, I'm sure you'll be able to move as you used to again, so keep it up, Hoshizora-san."

Inori didn't like the way Shinobu called her. Sure, Hoshizora was her mother's maiden name because her father leaving half his DNA into her was more than enough—Grandma Shizuku's words—but she didn't like being called by her last name by someone who has a lot of resemblances to one of the people she owed her life to.

Once the checkup was done, Amane and her children excused themselves, letting Kagaya and Kiriya back inside. The master took a seat beside Inori, much to the girl's slight surprise. But he simply smiled at her, then at Shinobu.

"Thank you for helping Inori, Shinobu."

"It's my pleasure, Oyakata-sama." The Insect Pillar had shifted to a kneeling position, bowing her head. When she lifted her head, Inori was looking at the floor, her hands were fumbling with the lint of her yukata.

Her eyes were blank again, and while Shinobu liked to think of herself as someone who has experience interacting with blank-eyed people, thanks to Kanao, she really couldn't read Inori at all. Maybe it was because she was brimming with curiosity over the girl who had escaped Kibutsuji Muzan, and she really wanted to ask questions.

Meanwhile, Inori was gnawing at her lips. If she looked at the Insect Pillar, she was scared she would end up crying, and she really didn't want to cry. Not to mention, the oh-so-familiar air around the Shinobu was weird. At times like these, she really wanted to just talk to one of the dead. They always seemed to know the answers to her questions.