54 • The Third Waxing Moon

Tanjiro stared at the demon with wide eyes. Upper Moon Three? Why is he here now? But before he could think any further, the demon leaped with a fist raised and aimed to crush his brains out.

Flame Breathing: Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun

Kyojuro planted his feet on the ground, pushing himself to stand as he swung his sword upwards, slicing the demon's arm in half. The demon merely backflipped away, holding his mutilated arm out for display. Then, he proceeded to make a show of snapping it back together.

"Not bad," the demon praised, licking the blood off his regenerated wound. "That's a nice katana."

He regenerates quickly...and there's this intense sense of dread. Kyojuro tightened his grip on his sword. So, this is an upper moon. "I cannot understand why you're targeting a wounded person." He moved to stand in front of Tanjiro. Upper Moon Three? So, this is the one with the ability to use a compass that can sense incoming attacks. Should I simply move faster than he could sense? Young Hoshizora's information said he fights with fists.

"I thought he might interrupt the conversation we're about to have."

"You and I have something to talk about?" Kyojuro narrowed his eyes. Inori's information didn't mention much about the demons' personalities, if there were any at all, so Kyojuro needed to keep his calm and not get provoked. "It's our first time meeting, but I already hate you."

"Is that so? I really hate weak humans too." The demon grinned. "When I look at weaklings, I feel disgusted. I can't help but want to kill them."

"It looks like you and I have different moral values and opinions regarding that as well." Kyojuro scowled, silently clicking his tongue. Not only was he rather worn out from the previous fight, but he also has to protect the fallen soldier behind him.

"Ah, I see." The demon shrugged. "Well, that's fine, I won't hate others for having different opinions. But I have a wonderful proposal for you." The demon raised his arm, grinning widely. "How about you become a demon too?"

"I refuse."

"So hasty. Why won't you think about it?" The demon swirled his finger as if drawing in the air. "I know your strength just by looking at you. You're a pillar, right? Your battle spirit is quite polished. You're getting close to supreme territory."

"I am the Flame Pillar, Rengoku Kyojuro." Kyojuro gripped his sword. An upper moon, none of us have ever met them before. Not Inori, the pillar with the highest number of demon moon kills, or Sanemi, the pillar with the highest number of demon kills, or even Gyomei, the longest-lasting pillar of their generation.

I expected it, but to face two of the Twelve Demon Moons in one night...I have to try killing him, but at the very least, I should collect his blood so Young Hoshizora and Kocho can make a huge progress with their project. Because while Kyojuro didn't fully understand what they were doing, their project would save many lives and offer tremendous help should they confront Muzan. Even if I die, I have to protect the passengers and my juniors, and help the corps in any way I can to defeat Kibutsuji Muzan.

"I'm Akaza," The demon introduced himself. "Kyojuro, let me tell you why you aren't crossing into supreme territory." Akaza pointed his finger at the Flame Pillar. "Because you're human. You'll grow old and weak and die," he said with so much spite that Kyojuro clicked his tongue again. "Become a demon, Kyojuro. If you do, you can continue fighting for eternity. You can become stronger. The strongest."

Nice proposal, if I was someone who chased after power for myself. But unfortunately for the demon, Kyojuro was not a desperate man. He didn't need to be strongest for himself. He needed to be the strongest because there were people under him who relied on his ability to protect them.