60 • Snake in the Grass

Muichiro blinked dazedly as he followed his crow to the Ubuyashiki Estate. Um, what was the name of that cloud again? Inori should know. I miss her. I want to see Inori. His wish came true when he caught sight of the familiar celestial haori. Muichiro didn't even think before engulfing her in a hug.

"Mui?"

"Hi." Muichiro nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck. "Did Oyakata-sama call for you too?" He let go, intertwining their hands together as they continued their way toward the Ubuyashiki Estate.

Inori nodded, placing her finger on her chin. "You too? I wonder if we're having a joint mission."

Muichiro hummed, pushing the estate gates open. "That's rare."

Inori was about to respond when she suddenly saw three other familiar figures standing in the middle of the garden. "Himejima-san, Shinazugawa-sam, Iguro-san, how rare to see you all here together."

"Hoshizora, Tokito." Obanai inclined his head in greeting. "Did Oyakata-sama summon you two as well? I don't see any other pillars beside the five of us."

"If there's five, ain't it a high-level mission?" Sanemi cracked his knuckles together, a feral grin plastered on his face. "I hope it's an upper moon demon."

"Namu amida butsu," Gyomei chanted. "For five of our pillars to be gathered at the same time. It must be something quite concerning."

"I still hope it's an upper moon demon," Sanemi repeated before pointing an accusatory finger at Inori. "And what the hell is going on with you? I heard you started calling Kanroji and Kocho 'Nee-san' or whatever."

Inori tilted her head to the side, blinking dumbly at the Wind Pillar. "That's because the girls and Senjuro-kun started calling me 'Nee-san', so I called them that, also because Mitsuri-nee asked me to. Do you perhaps want to be called that too, Shinazugawa-san?"

"Tch. No." The day Sanemi would admit he wanted it would be the day they defeated Muzan.

The five pillars present knelt on one knee as Kagaya arrived, looking frailer than ever. "You have come." Still, the master smiled softly at them. "Good morning, my children. Thank you for gathering here today on such short notice."

"It's no problem at all, Oyakata-sama," Gyomei said, proceeding to greet him. "We find it most pleasurable to be able to see you on such a fine day. May you always be blessed with eternal health and happiness."

"Thank you, Gyomei." Kagaya gestured towards Kiriya to bring out a stack of papers. "I called the five of you here today because it appears that there is a traitor amongst my swordsmen."

The five pillars snapped their heads towards their leader, staring with wide eyes as if they couldn't believe it. "Who"—Inori swallowed the lump in her throat—"who do you suspect? Is it one of the pillars?"

"Fortunately, not." Despite feeling the tiniest bit of relief, they knew that a traitor within their own corps, no matter how low-ranked they were, could be more dangerous than the demons. "I believe that all of my pillars are trustworthy, which is why I'm asking you five to investigate this case."

The five pillars were tense as they sat across from Kagaya and Kiriya, feeling anger brewing inside of them at the mere thought that someone had the audacity to betray their comrades and the corps.

"I will read the reports we have gathered so far." Kiriya took a piece of paper, reading its content out loud. "Every night, patrol teams have been ambushed, many villages and towns were also attacked immediately after the patrol team left, and the surviving crows claimed that the demons who ambushed them were two swordsmen. One of them wears the demon slayer's uniform."