33 • The Project

"So, let me get this straight." Sanemi, who had snapped out of his daze, raised his arms up and down as if he was trying to scan child-Inori, who was currently sitting on Gyomei's shoulder to escape from the other pillars. "A blood demon art hit her, and now the brat's turned into a literal brat."

"Technically, Shinazugawa-san, twelve isn't the age of an adult either." Inori deadpanned. "And I'm already on the road to recovery. Shinobu-san and I predicted I'll only stay like this for a few weeks as long as I sunbathe and drink my medicine."

"You're hopeless." Obanai facepalmed. Kaburamaru had slithered away from him to wrap himself across Inori's neck, baring his fangs at Tengen every time the Sound Pillar tried to take her away from Gyomei's shoulder. Obanai didn't mind, but it felt weird to not have his snake on his person.

"It's not like I want to have the body of a four-year-old again." The meeting hasn't even started yet and she's already exhausted. "I was lucky enough to still have my mind. It would be even more disastrous if my mind turned back to the time when I was four."

Their conversation ended when Kiriya announced Kagaya's arrival. Gyomei placed Inori back on the ground as the ten of them showed their respect towards their leader.

"Good morning, my cute swordsmen," Kagaya greeted. "Is the sky blue today? Are there any clouds? Are you all healthy?"

"Good morning, Oyakata-sama," Gyomei greeted. "It's an honor to be able to meet you again. We eagerly pray for much health and happiness to be blessed upon you."

"Thank you, Gyomei." Kagaya inclined his head towards Inori. "And Inori, thank you for still coming despite the condition you are in. For all ten pillars to be able to gather here again for our semi-annual Pillar Meeting, that makes me happy."

"Of course, Oyakata-sama."

Kagaya smiled pleasantly, gesturing for them to go inside so they could start the meeting. Kanata suddenly came in, three thick notebooks in her hand. "I have brought Hoshizora-sama's notes."

"Thank you, Kanata." The other pillars stared at Inori in bewilderment, some raising a confused eyebrow. But as far as Inori remembered, she never gave Kagaya any of her notes, except for the ones she made after her mission back home. Is Oyakata-sama going to ask all the pillars to cooperate on this research?

"My children, a while ago, Inori had a mission back in her hometown," Kagaya explained. "I asked her to search for any clues that might be useful to us, and Inori had returned with tremendous results." He gestured towards the notebooks. "These are Hoshizora Hizashi's notes about demons that Inori has compiled."

"Hoshizora's brother?"

"It was a shock to me too," Inori admitted, toying with the stitched hem of her haori. "I think it'll be easier if we read the letter, Oyakata-sama." She smiled, nodding in a silent display of trust and consent.

"Letter?"

"Zashi-nii wrote a letter to Getsu-nii and me just a while after I was told about the Blue Spider Lily." She smiled bitterly at the paper she had entrusted to Kagaya. "Apparently, he had a feeling something bad would happen, and he was scared he wouldn't make it, so he did something pretty big."

"I shall read Hoshizora Hizashi-sama's letter." Kanata unfolded the letter carefully, knowing just how much Inori cherished it—the few characters that were smudged with tears were more than enough to tell.

"To whoever may read this, I wonder what kind of tragedy had befallen me in the future." The pillars tensed at the dark beginning of the letter. "I want to address this to my siblings, but I'm not sure if Getsumei and Inori will still be alive in the future. I hope they are, but ever since Inori told us about the true nature of the Blue Spider Lily, I haven't been able to fall asleep without dreaming of my family dying."