28 • Chocolate #1

"And...what am I supposed to do with this information?"

"Whatever you want with it," answered the Serpent Pillar, shooting her a glare when Inori insisted on making sure he was really free of poison and whatever side effect it may have. Now, the Star Pillar was seated on the floor with her back facing him, writing formulas for poisons and antidotes. "It was just a stupid thing I heard from a Westerner."

"I mean, well, the West does have a lot of weird traditions." Inori had never met a Western spirit. Yes, there were merchants who had met a few foreigners and told her about foreign culture, but never a foreigner themself. "But why do they give chocolate to tell someone you love them? What does chocolate have to do with loving someone?"

"It's probably his way of selling his stuff." Obanai shrugged, though he knew that if he wasn't confined to be bedridden for at least two more days, he would've bought some chocolate and gifted them to Mitsuri. "I thought you'd be interested to know more about Western cultures."

"No, no, it is interesting, just...weird." Inori crossed her arms and tilted her head to the side, humming in thought. Of all the people she could give chocolate to, the ones who would actually enjoy them were probably Mitsuri and Kyojuro. Maybe Sanemi would like them too since he liked ohagi, and maybe Shinobu as well. But she couldn't picture Giyu or Gyomei enjoying chocolate. She wondered if Muichiro even knew what chocolate was. She remembered giving one to him, but he didn't express his distaste or liking towards it.

"The chocolate Kanroji gave you are caramel and milk, the sweetest kinds," Obanai explained when Inori continued to tilt her head left and right. "There are other types of chocolate, at least the guy selling them offers different flavors. There're bitter ones and there're sweet ones."

"Really?" She didn't know there were many types of chocolate. Then again, there were many flavors of dango and mochi, so it should've been expected. Now that she thought about it, she didn't really bother staying in whatever town she was in for missions, always leaving whenever she was done, or just buying whatever familiar thing she laid her eyes on for souvenirs. "Next time, I'll search for more Western souvenirs."

"No, that's not why I—"

"Caw! Hoshizora Inori!" Kanamaru flew inside through the window. "It's almost nightfall! Let's go! Patrol time! Patrol time!"

"Iguro-san, this is your medicine for tonight, and this is for tomorrow morning, this one is for before noon, this one for noon, this one in the evening, and this one is for if you still have side effects before night." Inori placed a tray of packed medicine on the bedside table, smiling even though Obanai had his face scrunched up. "Don't make that troublesome face. The doctors always say the best medicine tastes like shit."

"First of all, who taught you that? Second, don't talk as if you also didn't look at your own medicine as if it's shit."

"The best medicine tastes like shit, Iguro-san."

"You don't need to repeat that."

"Well then, feel free to use whatever you want in my estate. You're also free to stay however long you need." Putting on her haori, Inori stroked Kaburamaru's head before turning to leave. "Oh, there are bandages in that drawer." She pointed her finger at the drawer of the bedside table. "They're thicker, but more breathable than the normal ones. Use them however you wish." She offered the Serpent Pillar another smile. "Then, I'll excuse myself."

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

As it turned out, there were many animals who couldn't eat chocolate, and crows were one of them.