83 • Revival

"Shinazugawa! Hoshizora! Tokito! Stop for a second! It's over! The demon isn't regenerating anymore!" Gyomei had to physically stop Sanemi as the man continued to move despite being unconscious. "Shinazugawa! It's over!"

"It's...over." Inori felt her legs giving up. Her knees buckled, and her grip on her sword slackened. Muichiro was there to catch her before she could crash onto the floor. "Thank the stars."

"Are you two alright?"

"Inori's left arm...I'm trying to stop the bleeding!" Muichiro let Inori lean against him, his hands busy bandaging the stub of what used to be her left arm. He used his teeth and one hand to tighten the cloth around it, using the other to put pressure on the wounds on her face.

A deafening scream alerted Inori and Muichiro of another dire patient.

"What's happening to him? Dammit! His body is crumbling like a demon! Shit! Shit! What should I do?" Sanemi shouted until his voice cracked, fumbling around because Genya was crumbling—his brother was crumbling like a demon. "You're alright! You'll be fine, Genya! I swear I'll figure something out! Nemi will figure it out! Nemi will figure something out!"

"Ne...mi...I'm sorry...back then...I'm sorry...I blamed you...I'm sorry...I was...just a...burden."

"You were never a burden! Never! Don't die! You can't die before me!" Sanemi cried, curling onto his disintegrating brother. "Hoshizora! Please, save him. I'm begging you. Genya. Save him. Please. I beg of you."

It was the first time Inori had heard Sanemi beg for help. She tried to reach out to her bag, but bleakly realized her eyes were still clouded with blood.

"Mui! The vial! There's a vial labeled for Genya-san!" She coughed, hacking out more blood onto her palm as Muichiro fumbled through her bag. "Oh stars, I hope it's not broken. I can't see it. Please give it to him! Before he fully disintegrates!"

Inori couldn't move, but Sanemi didn't mind, sprinting faster than ever to snatch the vial and needle from Muichiro and run back to his little brother.

Inori internally prayed that her medicine would work. A tense silence that went for what felt like an eternity enveloped the room, suffocating everyone in it as they waited for the effects of the medicine.

A breath of relief passed through them all as soon as Genya started to slowly regenerate. It was slow but she was just glad that the medicine worked. Inori slumped against Muichiro, feeling all the tension escape from her body.

"Oh, stars...thank stars...haah...thank the stars..."

Sanemi hugged Genya with tears streaming down his face, thanking the Gods, the stars, and Inori for saving his little brother.

"Inori-san, what...what was...what happened?"

"When I first diagnosed you, I told you not to be reckless, do you remember?" Inori winced as she remembered her own pain, alerting the others about her own fatal injuries. They didn't waste time crowding her, immediately tending to her wounds and stopping the bleeding. Inori just let that happen, too drained to move.

Genya tried to move, but immediately flopped to the ground. Sanemi didn't seem to mind his incapability, dragging him towards Inori and lying him down near her before helping Muichiro and Gyomei tend to her injuries.

"You diagnosed Genya?" Sanemi asked as he ripped a piece of his haori to stop the bleeding on her face. He grimaced at the sight of her slit mouth, swiftly stitching the skin back together. "Why wasn't I informed of any of this?"

"Because you probably would've told me to poison him until he was forced to quit the corps," Inori answered, biting her tongue to suppress the hiss of pain from escaping. "I figured that since we have a half-demon or something akin to that in our organization now, I should create something that could stop demons from disintegrating." She snorted slightly because yes, it was a comical thing for a pillar of the Demon Slaying Corps to do, but she had gotten the master's permission, and that was all that mattered. "It wasn't a top priority, but I managed to finish the medicine before the fight started, just a few hours before it started, actually."