38 • Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary referred to a painting of a beautiful woman that was framed with gold. They say that the painting was made by a famous artist in the Meiji period, but the only known story about the artist was how they were found brutally murdered with several body parts missing not long after the painting was finished.

Thus, the origin of the cursed painting.

All the owners of the painting would be found brutally murdered in a similar state to the original artist. Exorcists and priests have been called to 'cleanse' the painting, but every attempt ended in more bloodshed. Even so, the painting was so beautiful that many wanted it, and thus, the cursed painting became a desired house decoration for the rich.

"Why is it that when I get paired up with you, it's always something related to ghosts and curses?" Despite her words, Inori still smiled as she walked beside him toward the extravagant mansion in front of them. "Hey, Shinazugawa-san? Please don't ignore me."

"Shut up, brat." Shoving her head down, Sanemi ruffled her hair, earning a whine from the younger pillar. "If you have time to talk, then talk about the mission."

"But I was talking about the mission." Swatting Sanemi's hand away from her head, Inori clicked her tongue as she redid her hair. "The painting has only been around for a maximum of five decades, but it's pretty desired in the underground auction, so the current owner of this painting is this guy." She pointed her finger at the golden gates of the very luxurious mansion up ahead. "Should we knock?"

"Nah, we're breaking in."

"I would usually agree with you, but we're supposed to be investigating the painting first."

"We can break in and investigate."

"I really wonder how you'll do that."

Because they had chosen the worst time possible to investigate. The crows did warn that the painting was so infamous that many owners have flaunted their wealth with it, and the same applied to the current owner. Thus, an extremely extravagant party was hosted in the mansion. Forget investigating the main attraction of the party, Inori would be glad if they could even sneak inside.

Crouching behind the stone fence of the mansion, the two pillars looked at each other, then at the bodyguards stationed at every corner, then at the guests in fancy Western clothing, then at the mansion, then at each other again.

"We can still break in."

Humming, Inori peeked above the fence, seeing bodyguards checking the guests for their invitations. No matter how she looked at it, she and Sanemi would obviously stand out, and no, it wasn't entirely because of her weird appearance this time. Their swords weren't at fault either. Rather, they just looked very out of place amidst the sea of lavish Western clothing.

"Okay, let's break in."

Breaking in wasn't a problem—she was a shinobi's begrudgingly-made disciple, and she knew how to sneak around a loud mansion—but investigating the painting was. The two pillars padded through the unnecessarily lavish hallway, hands on their swords as they darted their eyes left and right in case there was a demon lurking in the corner.

The mansion was, after all, reeking of a demon.

According to the gossiping maids, the painting would be taken out and displayed in front of the guests at the climax of the party, which was somewhen around nine, which was just half an hour away. Sharing a look, the two pillars decided it was now or never, so they snuck into the gallery where the painting was kept.

"Do rich people like to boobytrap their house?"

"Who knows? I've never been rich."

That was such an ironic thing to say considering the pillars were, in fact, quite rich. They did, after all, get paid as much as they wanted, or as much as the master deemed was worth all their efforts in eradicating demons. And the Ubuyahiki family itself was rich enough to own many 'dead' villages and empty estates.