19 • Resurfaced Memories

"Caw! Ride the train! Head northeast! Caw!" Kanamaru cawed. He landed on her shoulder, nuzzling his head against her chin. Inori stroked his feathers lovingly in response.

"Muichiro, do you know how to ride a train?" Being raised in a small and rural village all her life, Inori didn't know anything about city transportation. The dead often talked about it though, things like trains and cars.

"Caw! You idiot! Country bumpkin!" Ginko cawed mockingly. Inori didn't mind the mockery, but the same couldn't be said for her crow.

"Caw! Don't call my master an idiot, eyelash dimwit!" Kanamaru cawed angrily, flapping his wings against Inori's face.

"Shut up! Caw! You dumb bird!"

"I don't know either." Muichiro ignored the squabbling crows. He looped his arm around Inori's elbow, slightly dragging her. "Let's just go."

"Caw! Don't touch my master, you human!" Kanamaru flapped his wings aggressively against Muichiro's face, causing the boy to let go.

Ginko rushed in to defend Muichiro, flapping her wings at Kanamaru, who flapped back with as much aggressiveness. "Don't touch my master, you dumb bird!"

"Kanamaru," Inori scolded, gently placing her crow on her shoulder, letting him nuzzle into the crook of her neck. "Enough of this, you'll attract unwanted attention, just tell us how to ride the train."

Muichiro held his own crow who was glaring at Inori and Kanamaru. "Inori, your crow is a nuisance," he commented, earning an offended look from both Inori and Kanamaru.

"And your crow is a menace," Inori retorted, snuggling Kanamaru closer to her neck. "Let's just get going."

Muichiro and Inori sat next to each other on the train, much to their respective crow's displeasure. Kanamaru was glaring at Ginko from Inori's shoulder while Ginko was puffing her chest, if that was even possible for a crow to do. Both Muichiro and Inori decided to just ignore their arguing crows.

"What was the information about again?" Muichiro asked, his hands absent-mindedly stroking Ginko's feathers.

Inori placed her finger on her chin, recalling the information they had gathered. "Travelers who went into this forest went missing. As usual, the nearest slayers were sent, but they went unresponsive. We suspect it to be the work of one of the Twelve Demon Moons."

It was slightly farther away from the area where Kanamaru had spread information about Inori, but the point was that the demon was making a lot of noises, as if calling for attention.

Muichiro hummed in acknowledgment, leaning over to put his head on Inori's unoccupied shoulder. Inori didn't mind. They often fell asleep leaning against each other after training from dawn to dusk. so this was normal for her. Kanamaru, on the other hand, began to caw indignantly until Inori shushed him. She leaned her head to rest on top of Muichiro's, closing her eyes.

They both fell asleep leaning against each other, with their hands intertwined and their crows glaring daggers at each other.

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

Inori and Muichiro stared at the millions of stairs leading toward a shrine. The shrine looked like a small box from their point of view, showing just how abundant the number of steps there were to reach the top. The shrine itself was huge, but covered by trees, just to show how abandoned it was in the middle of the vast forest. Inori and Muichiro walked up the stairs, swords in their hands and ready to strike.

Inori swiftly decapitated the first beast that attacked them, triggering an army of demon beasts to leap out of the dark trees. "Mui, look." She slashed another beast as she ran up the stairs. "Looks like we are having a party."