22 • Pillar Arm Wrestling Competition

"Arm wrestling competition?"

It was Inori and Muichiro's first official Pillar Meeting, and it ended successfully, as successfully as a normal meeting could end. She was just about to leave and go home when Kyojuro stopped her, declaring that they were going to hold the customary arm wrestling competition for new pillars. Even Giyu, who was kept in a headlock by Kyojuro, was forced to join the competition.

"Since when?"

"Since Uzui asked who was stronger in arm wrestling between Shinazugawa and me," Kyojuro answered with a beam, crossing his arms over his chest. "Naturally, I won, and it became a tradition when new pillars were promoted."

"Huh." Inori gave Sanemi a half-pitying and half-mocking side glance, hiding her smile behind her sleeve. "Shinazugawa-san, I didn't know your arm strength was weaker than Rengoku-san's."

Tick marks appeared all over Sanemi's head as he cracked his knuckles. "You damn brat, I'll destroy you and your twig arms in one second."

"Yeah, I'm sure you will." Inori didn't even bother denying it, turning to face Tengen who was burning a pile of leaves. "Uzui-san, have all your flamboyance finally unscrewed your brain loose? Why are you trying to burn Oyakata-sama's garden?"

"What? Have you never heard of roasted sweet potatoes before?" When Inori shook her head in response, Tengen let out a despairing sigh. "Oh, you poor, poor child," he lamented, patting her head as crocodile tears streamed out of his eyes. "Don't worry, your flamboyant father here will make one for—what's with that look?!"

Inori gave him an ultimate look of disgust, scooting away to hide behind Gyomei who tilted his down at her quizzically. The other pillars were giving Tengen looks ranging from shock to disgust. Inori tugged Gyomei's sleeve, looking warily at the Sound Pillar. "Himejima-san, Himejima-san, there's a creep claiming to be my father. Maybe I should kick him in the head this time."

"Oi, you damn brat! My flamboyant wives called you their daughter so naturally, I am your father. Show some respect."

Inori, who had hidden underneath Gyomei's happi, peeked out to deadpan at the Sound Pillar. "Uzui-san, I'll have you know that I have no father. The man abandoned me before I was even born." The pillars who heard sweatdropped over how easily she dropped that information, though they supposed it was worthless to her.

"And I approve of your wives as my mothers, but I pity whoever will call you father in the future. So, naturally, I decline you as my father." Though Hinatsuru, Makio, and Suma should be her sisters considering their age. "Besides, Himejima-san makes a better father than you." If Gyomei was crying happy tears, then Inori would never be able to differentiate them from his normal tears.

"More importantly," Muichiro cut off Tengen's incoming babble, pointing at the smoking leaves with his head cocked to the side. "What was that again? I think I remember seeing that somewhere. I forgot."

"Don't tell me you've never heard of roasted sweet potatoes either." Muichiro shook his head, and Tengen sighed, muttering something about clueless children. "You kids are hopeless. It's not done yet, so I'll give you one later. You'll know when you see it."

"But why are you burning the leaves?" Inori came out of Gyomei's happi, crouching in front of the smoking leaves. "The last time I went camping, my brothers and I cooked some fish with dead branches. Why are you even making this anyway?"

"That's because you were cooking fish. If I roast sweet potatoes with a campfire, they'll end up charred." Tengen poked at the leaves with a fallen branch. "And some of these guys will end up wasting a lot of time with their matches, so might as well make some snacks. Don't worry, I've got a lot for Kanroji and Rengoku."