49 • The Moving Clockwork

The ten pillars gathered inside the Ubuyashiki Estate sat in front of their leader, the dim lighting barely illuminating their faces.

"Just as you've all reported, the number of demon attacks has increased more than ever," Kagaya stated. "Meaning that the threat to humanity will be greater than it has ever been from now on. We'll have to strengthen the ranks of the Demon Slaying Corps. What are your opinions on this?"

"The incident on Mount Natagumo made it very clear that the quality of our members has taken a nosedive to the lowest of the low," Sanemi said, clicking his tongue. "Most of them are useless. I can't help but question what the trainers see in them. You'd think they could at least differentiate between competent youngsters and deadbeats."

"Well, that kid today sure seemed promising." Tengen placed his hand on his chin, smirking at the Wind Pillar. "After all, he did manage to land a flamboyant blow on Shinazugawa. I'd say he's got some flamboyant potential." Sanemi clicked his tongue at the reminder of what happened a few hours ago.

"The more the human population increases, the harder it becomes to control and unify them," Shinobu stated. "Not to mention that times have changed considerably since the previous eras."

"Other than those who have had their loved ones brutally massacred and joined the Demon Slaying Corps, or those distinguished pedigrees who have hunted demons for generations, to ask for anyone else to harness such resolve and join our corps would be cruel," Gyomei said.

"Still, considering how that boy ran into a demon moon so soon after becoming a slayer, he may have the power to draw them in." Kyojuro pumped his fist in front of his chest, beaming broadly as usual. "Even most of us pillars rarely get the chance to confront one! I'm envious!"

"That's what it means to be one of Muzan's targets." Everybody knew Inori often put herself up as bait to draw the demon moons to her, and it was a good thing she was strong enough to protect herself and others thus far. "I'm actually surprised he survived this long. But the crows reported that he almost managed to kill Lower Moon Five, so I guess his survival isn't just pure luck."

"I agree." Kagaya's voice remained serene even in a serious situation. "But the fact that a lower moon demon took such a drastic action probably means that Muzan is nowhere near Mount Natagumo. After all, as in the case of Asakusa, whenever Muzan wishes to hide something, he creates a clever diversion to throw us off. It's quite frustrating."

"About that. Kid, didn't you visit Asakusa too?" Tengen asked. "You didn't meet Kibutsuji there like Kamado did?"

"Well, there was a demon attack that was already taken care of there, but I didn't even stay in Asakusa for a night, so I probably missed him, considering he was still in Asakusa at that time."

"Even if you have met Muzan there, I'm sure he would've either taken you or created yet another diversion to shake you off," Kagaya said. "The demons he created still freely devour humans, gaining strength and continuing to live on. For the sake of those who have perished, there is only one thing for us to do."

Put an end to demonkind and let the restless souls go to the stars. Inori's sole drive to become stronger had not changed since the day she first decided to walk the path of a demon slayer, and it would never change until the day Muzan finally fell to the depths of Avici.

"I believe that among you pillars who are present right now, I have assembled the finest unit since the first breathing swordsmen of the Sengoku era. Thus, I believe you will be the ones to finally end Muzan." Kagaya mentioned each of the pillars' names, placing his trust and confidence in each of them. "My children, I look forward to your successes."