71 • Uninvited Guests

Muichiro scrunched his eyebrows together as he tried to braid Inori's hair. He tried to weave the three parts together. but ended up either tangling them or creating something deformed. "How do you do this?"

"That's kind of my question here." While Muichiro was trying to braid her hair, Inori was trying to fold some origami, more specifically a paper airplane that could fly as far as Muichiro's could. "Why are you even trying to braid my hair in the first place?" There was no point since her hair had been cut short.

"You look pretty with braids." Muichiro pulled her bangs back, slowly braiding them into a sloppy half updo. He tied the braid in place, tilting his head to the side as he examined his work. "I think I did it."

"It's beautiful, thank you." Inori touched her now barren forehead, feeling a bit self-conscious now that her bangs weren't covering her scar anymore. She tried to grab another portion of her hair to cover it, but Muichiro's hand stopped her.

The Mist Pillar smiled, brushing his thumb over the scar running from her left temple. He leaned forward to press a kiss on top of her eyepatch, earning an explosion of red on Inori's cheeks. "It's okay if you want to cover it, but don't cover it for someone else's sake. I won't let anyone belittle you for having this scar."

Inori shoved the papers to his chest, turning her face away from Muichiro as she tried to stop her face from growing redder. "Just teach me how to fold the airplanes to fly like yours."

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

Inori and Muichiro strolled through the forest, giggling as they made idle chatter. The sun was beginning to set, but their blades weren't done yet, so they used whatever time they had to hang out together before duty calls.

"But Kocho-san said you're not allowed to train."

"Shinobu-nee told me not to strain myself," Inori corrected. "She literally said, 'don't fight any more upper moons for the time being' like I'm the one at fault. Actually, now that I think about it, if an upper moon or two attacks tonight, it'll probably be my fault."

"Don't say that." Muichiro didn't know whether he meant she shouldn't blame herself or say something as ominous as two upper moons attacking at the same time. "You have good instincts, and what you say often comes true. Besides, if two upper moons attack, it probably won't be your fault since it's obviously preplanned, especially if they attack here of all places."

"What I say often comes true? When?" Inori cocked her head to the side, an index finger placed on her chin. "I say a lot of gibberish things and I don't remember most of them."

"Well, your instincts predicted the traitor, right? And it turns out to be the same person you suspected." He recalled something Kagaya once said to them, a distant but somewhat visible memory. "Oyakata-sama says so too...I think?"

"It probably has something to do with my ability to see the dead. Probably increased sensitivity to paranormal events or divinity or something." Inori folded her arms behind her head, staring up at the sky.

"Yeah, probably."

Their peaceful stroll was interrupted by one Kamado Tanjiro, who emerged from behind the trees and immediately beamed upon seeing Inori. "Inori-san! It's been a while. How are you? Are you feeling better?"

"It's nice to see you too, Tanjiro-san." Inori smiled back, unaware of the pout Muichiro had on his face. "I'm still off duty until I'm healed, but I'm getting better. What are you doing here?"

"I was...training." Tanjiro sighed at the recollection of his hellish training before perking up again. "Ah! By the way, Inori-san, can I ask you something about the Hinokami Kagura and Yoriichi-san?"