final pt 2

16 Years Later

~ Solaris Malfoy-Zatara ~

"As you all know, today is the 15th Anniversary of the 3rd Battle of Hogwarts. Today marks a time where many sacrificed their lives. And many of us are present today because of the brave wizards and witches who chose to defend our Hogwarts." McGonagall always appeared sadder on this particular day. Yet she was devoted to delivering her message every single year, educating her students and remembering.

As usual, people stared. Some made subtle glances while others made it extremely obvious. Teddy Lupin knew how it felt too as he raised his head slightly from the Hufflepuff table and locked eyes with me before glancing away.

I didn't exactly know my parents, so it was quite hard to miss them. But everyone knew their story. Some people called them the villains while others labeled them as heroes.

Granmum always told me stories. Always taught me to keep my magic under control.

Thomas Nott jabbed me in the side with his elbow. I scowled at the little git 2 years junior me. He was practically my little brother, seeing as Uncle Theo and Aunt Pansy along with Uncle Blaise were practically like my parents.

"What?" I hissed while rubbing my rib and pretending like he hadn't struck the bruise I'd gotten from a Bludger the other day.

"She's staring at you."

Did I mention he never kept his nose out of other people's business?

I feigned confusion. Though I immediately knew who he was referring to. "Who?"

"The girl you like." This earned a few head turns from a few people sitting nearby. I swatted Thomas' head.

"I don't like anyone, Thomas. Finish your food."

Thomas shrugged as he looked down with a small smile tugging at his lips. And when I made sure absolutely no one was glancing in my direction, I snuck a glance at the Gryffindor table. And there she was, sitting between Rose Weasley and Avery Finnigan. She was staring, just like Thomas had said so I quickly flitted my eyes away and prayed my face wasn't red. I scowled to myself and tuned back into Mcgonagall's speech.

Hagrid shot me a wave from behind her to which I reluctantly returned. He always told me how much he adored my mother. How they spent the summer together and she became an amazing cook.

As we exited the Great Hall in quiet murmurs to get to bed, Longbottom sought me out and cornered me against the wall. Her eyes twinkled and I thought about how much nerve she had to approach a Slytherin as a Gryffindor who was a year below me.

I kept my face neutral and avoided staring at her blush covered cheeks and glossy lips.

"What do you want, Longbottom?" She smelled very nice.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing."

"Er—I'm...okay?" Everyone asked me this every year. Truth was, I was always just...fine. So could everyone please just leave me the fuck alone? Yes, Teddy Lupin and I are the orphans. Fucking get over it.

Longbottom blinked. I avoided the urge to trace my fingers along her brown skin and her rose brown hair. She didn't resemble her father at all. She was almost a replica of her mother. Padma. Sometimes it was eery. Sometimes, I just caught myself staring because she was utterly beautiful.