24.

You noticed Jotaro shuffle his hand inside his pocket , hesitant before withdrawing a small red item and flicking at it with his thumb .

"Jojo , what's that ?" you asked . He didn't look at you , but only let out a light "tch" as he reached further into his pocket , taking out a pre-opened pack of ... cigarettes ? 

"What on earth are you doing ?" you asked him , shocked . He still didn't look at you , and this was beginning to hurt your feelings really badly ; instead , he calmly flicked open the lid of the box and slid out one of its carcinogenic contents as if you weren't there . Your fiancé candidly held it up in front of him and struck a flame on what you now knew was a lighter .

You took a sharp step towards him and grabbed his wrist tightly , wrapping your small fingers around him , clutching him before he could actually light the cigarette ; he looked at you , seeing the pleading look in your eyes , and tried to free himself from your grip .  Now fighting back tears , you persisted . "Jotaro , get rid of them" you begged with a shaky voice . "Why are you doing this to yourself ? Smoking isn't good for you !"

He sighed deeply , still not making eye contact with you . He gazed out nonchalantly at the night time view . 

"For god's sake , look at me , Kujo !" you demanded , frustrated with his ignorance . Jotaro's head snapped to look at you immediately .  You couldn't read any emotions from his eyes or facial expression . Your voice was quivering as you forced yourself to hold back the tears brewing in your eyes .  "Listen to me" you tried to command him , almost crying . "Throw . Those- in fact , you know what , I-"

Upset , you angrily threw his wrist out of your hold and stormed back inside . 

---

You returned to the dining room , reassuming your seat next to Suzie Q . Joseph and Holly were still on uneasy terms , and the old woman sitting next to you sat there helplessly as they all ate .

"Y/n ..." Holly whispered in worry . "You look like something happened just now , is everything okay ?"

"Where's Jotaro ?" Joseph questioned you , immediately breaking his silence . 

"He..." you weren't sure how to put it . You took a small breath to gain some composure . 

"He's not even the slightest bit approachable right now" you finally said . His mother had a concerned look . Joseph looked down at the table , his mind dwelling on your words .

Joseph sighed . "It's my fault . I caused all of this . Holly , I'm sorry for being so rude ."

Out of the blue , Holly began to laugh , almost like a little girl . "It's all behind me , papa !" she beamed happily , throwing up a peace sign with his right hand . "Now let's eat like a happy family ."

---

Eventually , dinner was a happening of the past as Joseph's guests filled the other areas of the Joestar home , socialising amongst each other . The host himself was chatting away with who you'd identified to be some of his colleagues . Polnareff talked on and on with Holly , who smiled at his ridiculously entertaining stories of far and wide . Suzie and Smokey talked merrily like old friends do - or , you thought , they conversed excitedly like two teenaged schoolgirls .

Your attention was grabbed by the feel of Joseph placing a firm gloved hand on your shoulder from behind .

"Joseph ?" you asked , turning around . The old man looked at you , his lips folded . "What's wrong ?"

"Y/n , Jotaro's not okay  . I went to speak to him about what happened at dinner and he said he didn't care enough to speak about it , but when I asked him you returned without him , he turned his back on me . Would you mind speaking to him ?"