-9- Paris at Night

Marinette and Nathaniel walk out of the art museum, side by side and still empty handed. The art was beautiful, but she couldn't stop thinking about Adrien in every painting.

On the roof of the building across from them, Cat Noir sits in wait, following them. I'm not stalking Marinette. I'm just making sure she's safe. Cat Noir jumps and leaps onto the next building.

"So, that art, huh?" Nathaniel asks, glancing over at Marinette. She's lost in thought. "Mari?"

Her eyes snap to him. "Huh? Oh, sorry, Nathaniel. My head's just spinning."

"That's okay." Nathaniel reaches out and grabs her hand. Her eyes widen and she stares at their hands intwined. Her bracelet gets stuck on his sleeve and she uses this opportunity to let go of his hand.

"My stupid bracelet got stuck," Marinette mutters, untangling it from the thread and taking her hand back. She rubs her wrist. "There we go." She keeps holding it, not daring to drop it in case Nathaniel grabs it again. He frowns.

Cat Noir glares at Nathaniel and it takes everything in him not to jump off after him.

"The art was beautiful," Marinette starts, trying to ease the awkwardness between them. "I've never seen abstract art so... abstract."

"Next week they're introducing art classes at the museum," Nathaniel tells her as they reach her bakery. He tries to grab her hand again, but she hides her arms behind her back, faking a smile. "Would you wanna take classes together?"

"Oh, Nathaniel..." Marinette sighs. "I would love to, but I'm going to be so busy for the next few weeks. Helping my parents in the bakery and with school. I have to finish designing this dress and suit. I have a lot on my plate at the moment."

Nathaniel smiles. "That's okay. Maybe next time." He steps forward and kisses Marinette on the cheek. "Goodnight, Mari."

"Goodnight..." She whispers, staring in confusion as he walks away. Did Nathaniel really kiss her?

That only made Cat Noir angrier.

Cat Noir drops down in front of Marinette, causing her to scream, and she smacks his chest. "Cat, don't do that!"

"Were you just on a date?" He asks, leaning in closer, resting his weight against his staff.

"What?" Marinette's eyes widen and she shakes her head. "No! I was just with a friend at the art museum."

Cat Noir glances in the direction Nathaniel just left. "Friends don't look each other like that. Does Redhead know it wasn't a date?"

"Are you following me or something, Cat Noir?"

"Patrolling again, Mari." He reaches for her hand and kisses the back of it. "Just had to make sure you were safe."

Smirking, Marinette asks, "Or maybe you were jealous?"

"Me? Jealous? Come on." Cat Noir leans in until their noses are inches apart. "I just hope I have nothing to worry about with Mr. Tomato Head."

She laughs. "No, I don't like Nathaniel like that. We're just friends."

"So why'd you go on a date with him?"

"It wasn't a date!" Marinette repeats as she takes in a deep breath. "We just saw the new art exhibition that opened."

"Was it cool?"

She shrugs. "I guess."

"Wanna see something cooler?" Cat Noir holds out his hand for Marinette to take. "It's okay. I don't bite." He winks and she rolls her eyes, grabbing his hand, anyway. He picks her up, holding her close to his chest, and jumps off the ground. He leaps from building to building, climbing until they reach the very top of the Eiffel Tower. It's lit up tonight, shinning bright for of all Paris.

"It's windy up here," Marinette notes as Cat Noir sets her down, an arm safely snaked around her waist. She looks forward, gasping. "Woah. It's so beautiful up here." As Ladybug, she's been to the Eiffel Tower a million times, but she's never had time to just sit and admire the view.

"Better than the art gallery?" Cat Noir teases. Marinette nods and smiles, easing her back against Cat Noir. Despite being all the way up there, she felt safe with him. "I love your smile."

Blushing, Marinette turns her head, mumbling, "What?"

"Just calling 'em as I see 'em, Mari."

"Oh. Thank you." She looks down at the city. "I've never seen Paris at night. Everything is shiny and bright and glowing and just so beautiful."

So are you, Marinette. Cat Noir clears his throat. "Admit it. This is way cooler than your date with Mr. Tomato Head."

"It wasn't a date," She assures him, laughing, elbowing his side. "You're not the only one who's jealous."

"What do you mean?"

"There's this guy I like..."

Cat Noir plays along. "Mari, a crush? Do tell."

"It's Adrien Agreste."

"Baker Girl likes supermodel Adrien Agreste?" He teases.

Marinette smiles and Adrien's heart starts racing. He knew she liked him, but it was different hearing it for himself. He wanted nothing more in the world than to say the words, Plagg, claws in. "Well, in class today he overheard Nathaniel asking me out to the art museum. He was so weird about it. I thought he could've been jealous, but I don't think he likes me like that. He's always saying what good of a friend I am."

Cat Noir flinches at the word and shuts his eyes. He can't believe all those times he called Marinette 'just a friend'. "Sounds like he was jealous." Because he was.

"But if Adrien was jealous, that means he likes me, and if he likes me, why doesn't he just ask me out?" She frowns. "I mean, everyone in the world knows I'd say yes in a heartbeat."

"Maybe he's nervous, or just waiting for something." Cat Noir didn't know why he was waiting. Marinette just confirmed she's in love with Adrien. There's no fear of rejection or any big risks. "It's getting late. I should probably take you home now." He scoops Marinette up in his arms and jumps down, running and leaping until he's standing on her balcony. He sets her down. "Goodnight, Mari." Again, he grabs her hand and kisses it. "Only dreams of cats tonight, 'kay?"

Marinette rolls her eyes. "Goodnight, Kitty." Stepping on her toes, she reaches out and kisses Cat Noir on the cheek before climbing down to her bedroom.

Cat Noir touches his cheek and smiles. With a sly smirk, he jumps off the balcony and races home. There was something he wanted to do that would make Marinette happy.