-29- Parting Ways

Marinette goes back to Master Fu's to give up her miraculous.

"Marinette, what are you doing?" Tikki asks as she flies in her face, blocking the door.

"I don't deserve to be Ladybug anymore. You saw what happened today, Tikki."

"It was an accident!" She reminds her.

Marinette glares at the red bug. "An accident that could have cost someone's life! I'm not going to risk hurting anyone else."

"I think you're making a mistake. Paris needs you! I need you!"

"Didn't you say you'd support whatever decision I make, Tikki?" Marinette asks, raising an eyebrow.

The kwami looks away, silent, and flies out of her holder's way. Marinette walks inside, her clothes dripping wet and shoes treading in muddy footprints.

Master Fu faces her. "Marinette. I'm surprised to see you here. Is something wrong?"

"Master, I can't be Ladybug anymore."

His eyes widen. "WHAT?"

"I made a mistake as Ladybug today and it almost got someone killed. I don't deserve my miraculous." She reaches for her earrings.

"Wait, Marinette!" He shouts, standing. "Let us talk about this!"

She shakes her head, crying. "There's nothing more to talk about, Master Fu. I'm going to New York. I can't be Ladybug and live my life."

"That is your choice, Marinette," Master Fu says with a firm nod. "But just remember you'll have to live with whatever decision you make. Forever."

"I understand, Master Fu."

"What of Cat Noir?"

Marinette stares at her shoes. "He'll understand... one day. Besides, you'll find a new Ladybug and he'll have a better partner. Someone he can trust and count on and not have to worry about messing up."

"Would you like to say goodbye to your kwami before parting ways forever?" He asks.

Marinette and Tikki turn and look at each other.

"Marinette—"

"I love you so much, Tikki," The girl interrupts, choking out a sob. "You have been there for me through everything. When I first got my powers, all of my battles with Cat Noir, and now through this horrible drama reality show I've been living. You give the best advice and I'm grateful for the time we've shared together." She takes in a deep breath. "I'm sorry we have to part ways so soon, but I can't be Ladybug forever. Like you said, I deserve to be selfish sometimes. Right now, I'm thinking of Marinette. I hope you can understand."

Tikki nods fast. "Of course I understand, Marinette! All I want is for you to be happy!" Her tiny hands cup her holder's face. "I said I'd support any decision you'd make, and I meant it. You are the best Ladybug I've had the pleasure of knowing, fighting with, and loving. You are the best of them all! I will cherish every moment we've spent together. I love you, Marinette."

Marinette closes her eyes and holds her kwami close. "I love you more, Tikki. Please find it in your heart to forgive me." She takes off her earrings. "I renounce you, Tikki."

Master Fu's eyes widen. He didn't actually think Marinette would go through with it.

She hands the earrings back to him. "Please keep my identity from Cat Noir a secret. It'll only hurt him more."

"Of course, Marinette. It was an honor training you."

Marinette smiles and bows. "It was an honor being Ladybug, Master Fu. I'm grateful you put your trust in me. I... I'm afraid of starting a new chapter of my life."

"You will do great things, Marinette Dupain-Cheng."

"Goodbye, Master. I wish nothing but the best in your search for a new holder." Marinette turns around and leaves, walking in the rain back home. She looks down at her empty purse.

It's so light now.

Once home, Marinette dries off and grabs her phone. "Hello, this is Marinette Dupain-Cheng. Can I speak with Michael Gilbert-Faun? I'll be accepting the New York internship."