-38- Loyalty

The akuma immediately akumatizes Marinette. A purple blurb covers her as she transforms, but her appearance doesn't quiet change. Same hair, same clothes, except her eyes glow a bright white. She stands still, frozen, with no thoughts of her own, and waits for a command.

"Mari? What... what did you do to her?" Adrien questions, confused. This didn't happen when people got akumatized. There's always a delay in control, a chance for people to fight, but Marinette wasn't given that. Why? "The akuma transformed her immediately! She wouldn't have given in so quickly!"

Hawk Moth walks over and takes the bracelet from her wrist. "I recently discovered a new power, Adrien, if I will it enough. This new akuma—my Super 'Kuma—akumatizes anyone without a struggle or fight. Miss Dupain-Cheng never stood a chance."

Adrien waves his hand over her face. "Marinette! Marinette? Can you hear me?"

"She's not Marinette, anymore. You can address her as Loyalty."

"You akumatized her..." He turns and glares at his father. "Let her go! This is between you and me."

Hawk Moth shakes his head. "Afraid not, son. The discovery you made today is the leverage I now hold against you. As long as your little girlfriend's life hangs in my hands, you'll be forced to do whatever I say."

"What are you talking about?"

"You're going to help me lure Ladybug and Cat Noir into a trap."

Adrien's eyes widen. "WHAT?!"

Hawk Moth circles Loyalty and says, "When they see poor Marinette has been akumatized, they'll have no choice but to come and battle her. When they reach her, two those pests will fall into my trap, and I'll finally have their miraculous! I can make the wish and bring your mother back, Adrien."

"This isn't right, Father. Let Marinette go!"

He walks over to a window on the wall and pushes it open. "I was afraid of this. Join me or Marinette jumps!"

Adrien shakes his head and shouts, "Are you insane?!"

"Loyalty, walk to the window."

Loyalty obeys on command and starts walking over.

"Mari, no! Don't listen to him!"

Hawk Moth steps aside as she gets closer. "Her loyalty means she'll do whatever I say. You can stop her, Adrien! It all depends on you."

"Mari!"

Loyalty steps up to the ledge.

"Make your choice soon, son," He mutters, opening the window wider. "Last time I check, humans can't fly!"

Adrien runs over, arm raised, and yells, "Stop! I'll do it!"

"Wait, Loyalty!"

She stops, her toes just inching over the ledge, and stands still.

Crying now, Adrien shakes his head and whispers, "Please don't hurt her. I'll help... bring mother back."

Hawk Moth laughs. "I knew you'd see things my way, son. Loyalty, step off the ledge."

She obeys.

"What do you need me to do, father?"

Hawk Moth walks over to Adrien. "First, we need to establish what kind of trap we're going to set for Ladybug and Cat Noir. If it's too obvious, they won't show up at all." He turns his back to his son,

Adrien stares at Loyalty. He couldn't let his father know she's Ladybug—or that he's Cat Noir. It'd be too dangerous. Now I regret ignoring Master Fu's warning about waiting.