-27- Just Friends

Adrien chases Marinette out of school. "Marinette!"

She stops and turns around. "Oh, hi Adrien. What's up?"

"I... was... wondering..." He pauses and rests his hands on his knees to catch his breath. "If I could walk you home?" He notices her hesitation. "Friends walk each other home, right?"

"Okay, you have a point." Marinette nods. "You can walk me home, friend."

It did sting Adrien's heart to hear that word, but he figured he deserved it for all the times he called her one. As they reach the crosswalk, Adrien grabs her hand. She doesn't pull away, but gives him a weird look instead. "What? Friends make sure their friends are safe when they cross the street."

"Of course they do..." She bites back a smile.

Adrien notices anyway and takes it as a small victory. He'll win her over again in no time.

"Would a friend like to come in and enjoy some fresh pastries my dad made?" Marinette asks, not expecting to invite him in.

"A friend would enjoy that."

She shakes her head with a laugh. "We've got to stop saying friend."

Adrien leans in close and Marinette steps back, bumping into the bakery door. She realizes how close his face is and how good he smells. "What about boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"You're bold today, Agreste." Marinette pushes him back, laughing, and they walk in. She grabs a plate and piles it with croissants, macaroons, cookies, and brownies before leading Adrien upstairs to her bedroom. She really didn't plan on this. "I figured it'd be better if we eat in my room than downstairs with my parents. They'll just ask a million questions."

Adrien didn't care where they ate. He's just happy Marinette is talking to him again. He sits on her chaise with a smile and eats a cookie.

Marinette sits in the pink chair at her desk. "What do you think is gonna happen to Lila now?" She wonders.

He shrugs. "I couldn't care less."

"Right?" She agrees. "Good riddance."

They both laugh and sneak their kwami a treat while the other isn't looking.

Marinette glances at her computer and remembers the internship. She only has a few more days to decide. She's only asked Tikki, her parents, and her friends for their opinions, but theirs weren't the ones she cared about the most. "Can I ask your opinion of something, Adrien?"

He nods. "Of course, Mari. You can ask me anything."

She pushes away from the desk, closer to him, and takes in a deep breath. "At your birthday party, I got a call from the CEO-director of World Wide Fashionista."

"That fashion brand you love? Don't you have every magazine they've released?"

Marinette nods and smiles, flattered that Adrien remembers. "Yeah... well, they offered me a three-month internship over the summer."

"What? Really? That's amazing, Marinette!" Adrien cheers, and he notices she's not smiling anymore. "It is amazing, right? That's all you've ever dreamed about."

"I know. Your dad even recommended me, like he promised," She admits, and his eyes widen. My father actually did something nice for someone? "The thing is they only have an open position at their New York offices."

Adrien stares off. "So... you'd go to New York for three months?" What about Ladybug?

"Exactly, and interns can compete in this contest. The winner gets to attend any college of their choice and to start their own fashion line."

"That's great, Mari!" He smiles. "You'd win that for sure."

"Thanks, Adrien." Marinette sighs. "I'm just really conflicted about going or not. I have to let them know this Sunday. I don't know if I should stay or go." She looks up at Adrien. "What do you think I should do?"

Adrien knew that if Marinette went to New York, she'd have to give up being Ladybug. He wanted her to stay, but he had to support her. He couldn't be the one to beg her to stay and throw away her dreams. "I think it's an amazing opportunity, Mari, and you'd be crazy not to accept it."

Marinette frowns. That wasn't the answer she wanted to hear. I'd stay if you asked me to. "You think I should go?"

Adrien nods. "I can't be that guy to hold you back. A real friend would push you towards your dreams." Even if you're not Ladybug anymore.

A sad smile forms on her face. He must not want her to stay, apparently. If he'd ask her to stay—even just one time—she would.