-28- Ladybug's Mistake

Sunday Morning

Marinette sits at her desk and stares at the email on her computer screen. She has until three pm to make a final decision for the World Wide Fashionista internship. It's now twelve-thirty. Even asking her friends and family for advice didn't help her decide. She doesn't know what to do. Three months in New York is nothing; she could easily do that and work through feeling homesick all the time. It's giving up Ladybug and her partner that makes her hesitate to go.

"You've been staring at your screen all morning," Tikki points out, floating over to sit on the desk in front of her holder. "Usually, a decision would be made by now."

"A decision is still being made, Tikki," Marinette retaliates with a sigh. "If one ever will be."

The kwami pats her hands. "What if for once in your life, you made a selfish decision?"

"How can I be selfish, Tikki, when Paris needs me?"

"Master Fu will find another holder for the ladybug miraculous," Tikki reminds her. "You know that. Paris won't be left unguarded."

"But I can't leave you, or my parents, or friends or..." She frowns. "Adrien."

Tikki flies up and hugs Marinette. "Please. Pick your own happiness over other's for once. I will support whatever decision you make."

The room shakes as an explosion goes off outside. An akuma alert pops up on her computer and she clicks on it, reading an update on this newest villain: Doctor Kinetic.

"Paris needs Ladybug now," Marinette mumbles, standing up to transform. "I'll make a decision after we defeat this new villain. Tikki, spots on!" Her room glows red for a second and she's changed into red and black spandex. Out her balcony, she follows the damages and causalities caused by Doctor Kinetic. She watches as stuff on the streets move on their own, flying in various directions, and she realizes that the villain is moving them with her mind. "A little challenge, huh?"

Cat Noir joins her side as they race and run across rooftops, following Doctor Kinetic. "Long time, no see, Milady."

Ladybug smiles. She'd miss hearing that. "You too, Kitty." As she sneaks a glance at him, she considers asking Cat Noir for advice—which is something she planned on talking with him about anyway—but she doesn't know if she can without revealing her secret identity to him. Though, it would make an awesome parting gift.

Doctor Kinetic chuckles to herself, raising an eyebrow, and throws a car at Ladybug, who's distracted and doesn't notice the giant vehicle whirled her way. "Catch this, bug!"

"Ladybug!" Cat Noir dives head-first and tackles her out of the way. They roll off the roof and land face-first in the road. He stares at her. What is Marinette thinking?! This isn't like her. Why isn't she paying attention?!

Ladybug grabs Cat Noir's hand as he offers it and helps her stand. "Thanks, Kitty. I was almost roadkill."

"Something on your mind, Milady?" He asks, still holding her hand. She doesn't seem to notice. "You're never usually distracted during our battles... and you never make jokes."

She rolls her eyes. "I can be funny, you know. This conversation can wait until after we defeat Doctor Kinetic. I... I want to ask your opinion on something, Cat Noir," She admits, scratching the back of her neck.

Cat Noir already knows what she's going to ask about: the internship. If she should go or stay. Does that mean she's going to reveal herself to him? "A fashion opinion, Milady? I have a ton of those. I'm what you'd call an expert."

"No, nothing like that, Kitty." I am literally a fashion designer. I think I'm the expert. "Something else. You'll see."

The heroes chase after Doctor Kinetic to the park, where it starts throwing random objects at civilians, and the two run around, protecting strangers, dodging and blocking attacks, and trying to think of a plan to defeat this villain.