-16- Cat's Intuition

"Mom! Dad! I don't need you two babysitting me," Marinette tells her parents as they watch her from the trap door. "I'm fine! Everything's okay now."

"We just don't want anything to happen to you, Marinette." Sabine grabs Tom's hands. "We wouldn't be able to forgive ourselves if something happened to you."

Marinette smiles. "Ladybug and Cat Noir saved me, Mom, and I'm sure they'd do it again if I was in danger." She sees a back figure drop onto her balcony. Her eyes widen. "Oh, I'm so tired." She fakes yawn. "I think I'm just going to sleep now."

"Okay. Goodnight, Marinette. We'll be downstairs if you need us." Her parents leave, closing the trap door behind them.

Marinette climbs on her bed and opens her sky door, taking Cat Noir's hand as he helps her stand. "Thanks, Kitty." She gently closes the door and faces him. "It's past midnight. I didn't think you were coming."

"I'd always come to see my Princess." Cat Noir grabs her hand and kisses it. "I just got caught up with some stuff."

"Choking on a hairball?" Marinette teases.

"Ha ha. Very funny." Actually, Adrien had to endure hours of screaming and lectures from his father. He was furious when he found out he skipped school to look for Marinette. "How are you doing? You know, after everything."

Marinette sits down, leaning her back against the railing. "I'm adjusting again, but it doesn't help that my parents are constantly watching me. I can't even go to the bathroom without one of them waiting on the other side."

"They're your parents. They love and care about you." Cat Noir sighs. At least you have parents that care.

"I took a nap earlier," She whispers, crossing her arms, "And I had a nightmare." She hides her face, embarrassed, and Cat Noir scoots closer. "I was there again, in that room. It was dark and I was alone. I woke up crying."

"You're never going back there, Marinette." Cat Noir grabs her hand and pulls her closer, wrapping his arms around her in a hug. She gives into his touch and rests her head on his chest, closing her eyes. "I promise. As long as I'm here I'll protect you."

Marinette laughs. "I forgot to thank you earlier. You know, for saving me."

"Just a hero's job." Cat Noir smiles down at her.

Yawning, she mumbles, "I think you got a little crush on me."

You're not wrong. Cat Noir adjusts so he's leaning against the railing and opens his legs to give Marinette more room.

Instead of scooting away, she moves closer and her arms tighten around him. "Is it alright if I just... stay like this?" She asks him.

"Of course, Princess." Cat Noir starts playing with Marinette's hair, listening closely to her soft breaths.

"You're purring, Cat Noir," Marinette teases, giggling.

Cat Noir's eyes widen. "Well, cats purr when they're happy."

"I make you happy?" She whispers with a yawn.

Smiling, he leans down and kisses her forehead. "Goodnight, Mari."

"Goodnight, my Kitty."

***

Marinette rolls over into a pillow. Huh? She opens her eyes to see she's in her bed. Cat Noir must have put her here before he went back home. That's so sweet of him. Yawning, she climbs out of bed, looking around for Tikki. Her kwami's usually awake by now. "Tik— AHH!" She screams at Cat Noir laying her in chaise. So he didn't go home? "Cat Noir, you scared me. What are you still doing here?"