-17- Seventeen

One Month Later

Adrien's 17th birthday. Only one more year to go until he can move out and live on his own, away from his controlling father. A year is too long to wait. He lays in bed and checks his phone, a video message waiting from Marinette.

"Happy birthday, my love!" She shouts in the camera, smiling. "I can't believe you're seventeen now. I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and I can't wait to see you at your party later—Dad!" Tom takes her phone and waves. "Happy birthday, kiddo! We wish only the best for you. And—" Marinette takes her phone back. "He gets it, Dad! Umm, happy birthday again, Adrien. I... love you." The video ends.

Adrien smiles and saves it. "Wow, that's the first time Marinette's said she loves me," He whispers to himself, a boost of energy surging through him.

"Are you going to say it back?" Plagg asks as he bites into a wheel of cheese.

"In person, tonight at my birthday party," He answers, climbing out of bed. He stretches. "I'm still surprised my father is throwing me one."

There are two knocks on his door and Nathalie walks in. "Adrien, your father would like to speak with you."

No, he's going to cancel the party! Confused, but hopeful, Adrien follows her downstairs and steps into his father's office. "You wanted to see me?"

Gabriel turns and faces him. "Yes, Adrien. I'm placing a lot of trust in you with this birthday party. I don't want anything to go wrong. No fights, screaming, or making a scene of any kind. We have a reputation to hold as an Agreste and I don't need people thinking we're party animals."

Adrien nods. "I understand, father."

"Good." He turns back around. "That's all, Adrien. You can go now."

Father didn't even wish me a happy birthday.

"Yes, father." Frowning, Adrien leaves and slumps upstairs back to his room to take a shower.

"Are you still up for the plan, Nathalie?" Gabriel asks as soon as the doors close. "I've been planning this for over a month. I can't have any unwanted surprises."

"Sir..." Nathalie clears her throat and steps forward. "Can't you just let Adrien enjoy his birthday party? Can't we save this for another day?"

He turns and glares at his assistant. "Save this for another day? Don't be ridiculous, Nathalie! I've suspected Miss Dupain-Cheng of being Ladybug for a while now and I need to find out the truth tonight. When Evillustrator captured Marinette, she talked a lot in her sleep and kept calling out for Tikki—which is the name of Ladybug's kwami."

"Evillustrator did drug Marinette," Nathalie reminds him. "She was probably just dreaming or hallucinating. We know she and Cat Noir are close friends. Maybe he just happened to casually mention the kwami's name."

Gabriel's eyes widen with a wicked grin. "This changes everything."

"What does, sir?"

"It's perfect," He whispers, pacing the room. "Instead of waiting to akumatize someone and see if Marinette transforms, I'll create a sentimonster of Cat Noir. If they're close like you suspect, Marinette will already trust this new creation, no doubt. That cat wouldn't go through all that trouble of saving her from Evillustrator if he didn't care about her. We'll use the sentimonster to force Marinette to reveal Ladybug's identify—be it herself or another—and when I finally have a name, I'll use that to bait Cat Noir and get his miraculous once and for all."

"I don't think that's a good idea," Nathalie challenges, a firm grip on the tablet in hand. "Who's to say Marinette will say anything, or even if she knows anything?"