-23- Looks Can Be Deceiving

Three Days Later

"You're coming to rehearsals after school today, right?" Adrien asks his mild-tempered girlfriend during their usual morning calls.

"Why? You don't want me there? Do you want to flirt with Lila while I'm not there, so you won't feel guilty about it?" Marinette snaps, still salty about the situation. She still wants Adrien to quit the play.

He frowns, slouching at his desk. He wished Marinette understood that rehearsing wasn't him flirting, and even more that he was basically being blackmailed to stay in the play. But of course, he couldn't say anything. "No. I want you there, Mari. I'm not flirting with Lila. I never have and I never will."

"You still have kissing scenes coming up," She mutters into her phone.

"Then on those days I'll get sick," Adrien reassures her, and a quick laugh escapes her. "If we do kiss, Lila will get sick, and she'll have to drop the role—"

"And I can swoop in and take the part," Marinette finishes, staring up at the sky roof. She hasn't gotten up to get ready for school yet. "Still, I don't like Lila being so close to you."

"And I—"

Nathalie peeks her head in Adrien's room. "Your father needs to speak with you, Adrien."

"I have to go, Marinette. I'll see you at school," He whispers, imagining a frown growing on her face. "I love you."

Marinette pauses and hesitates on what to say next. "I'll see you at school." She hangs up.

"You have to trust Adrien," Tikki tells her holder as she finally climbs out of bed and changes out of her pajamas. "You know he loves you."

"Lila is too sneaky and manipulative. Even if I did trust Adrien, she'd find a way to break that if she could." Marinette pulls on her t-shirt and slips on her dark blazer. Ignoring her messy hair, she puts her flats on and fifteen minutes later, heads downstairs.

Adrien isn't waiting for her, like he has been every day since they started dating.

Even if she's mad at him, Marinette still wanted to see him. She calls him and he doesn't answer. One more call, same thing. She waits for five minutes before giving up, and as she crosses the street, her phone buzzes with a text. 

Adrien: Sorry I missed your call. My father grounded me, so I won't be at school today.

Marinette: Anything I can help with?

Adrien: Can you singlehandedly glue back the million broken pieces of my mother's garden statue?

Marinette: Right. Of course he'd be furious about that.

Adrien: Exactly. Until my father's anger subsides, I don't know when I'll be allowed out of the house.

If Adrien's grounded, that means he won't be at rehearsals today. Would his father make him quit the play? The thought of it made her almost happy, and sick and guilty at the same time. She didn't want to be the cliché, jealous girlfriend.

Marinette: I miss you already.

She opens her camera, posing with half a hand heart, and sends the selfie to Adrien.

Adrien: That's a cute picture.

Marinette smiles to herself and puts her phone away. She keeps walking to school and looks down at her purse. "I think I overreacted about the play, Tikki. I get his father makes him do extracurricular activities like fencing, piano, and Chinese lessons, so I should have been more understanding. I wish I could see Adrien and apologize in person."