-18- A Close Cataclysm

Marinette smiles at her partner. "What are you doing here, Cat Noir?"

He walks over with a smile. "I heard it was Adrien Agreste's birthday today. I was out on patrol, and I saw you standing in the garden, so I decided to stop and say hi." Pause. "Hi."

"It sounds like you were the one who missed me," She teases, and Cat Noir chuckles.

"I did miss you," He admits, stepping closer. "I miss you all the time, Marinette."

Marinette's confused by his all-of-sudden affection. It must be his casual flirting—she assumes—and doesn't question it. "It's nice that you were thinking about me."

"How's Ladybug doing, by the way?" Cat Noir randomly asks, kicking away a stray rock. "She doing good?"

"What?" She asks, tilting her head at him. "I wouldn't know."

He laughs. "Come on, you two are friends, right? You don't check up on your friends?"

Marinette crosses her arms. This conversation is taking a weird turn now. "I don't know where you heard Ladybug and I were friends, but we're not."

Cat Noir's eyes darken and his intentions change  as he takes a step forward. Out of instinct, she backs away. "Do you know who Ladybug is?"

Why is he asking me this? She shakes her head. "No, I-I don't. Why are you asking me all these random questions, Cat Noir?"

"Just a curious cat," He states simply.

"Know what happens to a curious cat?" Marinette counters, almost threatening, raising an eyebrow.

Cat Noir chuckles and it quickly fades into an angry glare. "I know you know who Ladybug is."

"I don't—"

Cat Noir jumps forward and her back hits the wall. She realizes how close he is as he towers over her. "I think you do, Marinette."

Marinette stares up with wide eyes. What's wrong with him? Why is he acting weird? Asking me questions about Ladybug and ignoring personal boundaries? "This isn't you—"

"You look so pretty in this light," Cat Noir whispers as he leans in close. "I never noticed before."

"I-I have a boyfriend," She whispers, hoping that'll send him off.

He leans in with a smirk. "If you wanted a kiss, all you had to do was ask. You don't need to lie."

"Did something happen, Cat Noir?" She asks, desperately wanting to find out the truth. "You're acting—"

"I'm fine," He interrupts with a wide grin. "I feel fine. Just in the mood to uncover a secret today."

"This isn't like you."

"Take it in, Marinette, because this is me," Cat Noir whispers, raising an arm and pinning it by the side of her head. "And I'm not leaving until you give me Ladybug's secret identity."

Had Cat Noir been akumatized? Is that what's making him act different? Has someone else been akumatized? Is this Copycat again? "Are... are you Copycat?"

He laughs and says, "Why can't you understand that this is me? I'm Cat Noir, not some cheap copy."

Marinette shakes her head. "No, this isn't you, Cat Noir. I know you. You're not like this. You're just some cruel imitation and I don't know what you want."

"I already told you what I want, Marinette," Cat Noir whispers, leaning in close. "Ladybug's name."

"I-I don't know," She gasps out, crying now. What the hell is she supposed to do? Transform and fight? Risk her identity in front of all her classmates inside? Adrien, included? "I don't know who Ladybug is."